Visit to Macau from Hong Kong

Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Visit to Macau from Hong Kong

I have a total of 4 nights in Hong Kong. I want to spend one of those nights in Macau at new Venetian. I am flying into Hong Kong from Shanghai on a Monday and leave Hong Kong for flight back to US at 9pm on Friday night. I feel like it would be easier on my mind to spend two nights in Hong Kong, then one in Macau and return for my final night and extended day in HK, rather than spend last night in Macau and leave from there on ferry to get back to airport. I guess I can just pack an overnight bag and leave luggage in the hotel in HK that I will be returning to. What do you think?
Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM

That sounds reasonable and probably what I'll do too.

Alternatively, you can do Macau first. If you fly into HKG, you can take a ferry direct to Macau, without having to go into Central or Kowloon. Same if you want to visit Macau last.

Ferry schedule for HKG airport - Macau is here:

http://www.turbojetseaexpress.com.hk...ule_fare_table

Not very frequent.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:52 AM

I think your plan is a good one. It seems to involve the least stress!
Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM

When are you going anyways? From what I'm reading, they really have a lot of transportation issue getting people between the ferry pier and Venetian. 30-minute waits for the shuttle buses, no taxis available. [Well, taxis were a problem even before Venetian opened.]

It'll be better after the new pier opened near the Macau airport and Venetian/Sand's own ferries start running. Meanwhile, better pack light.

Alternatively, you may want to fly direct from Shanghai to Macau. [Or you can even try Shenzhen, but it's a bit of trouble going from SZX to Macau, with multiple transfers.] After Macau, go to Hong Kong for your other 3 nights.
Sep 4th, 2007, 06:47 AM

heard last week that the venetian is fully booked till mid october. u probably need to act quick or have a contingency plan.

yes, big problem with getting a taxi, always.
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Another issue with Venetians is the check-in problem at the hotel.

Unlike here in the US, where hotels usually have check-in/check-out time of 3pm/12pm or something similar, in Macau/Hong Kong/China, it's noon/noon.

It's one thing to be a business hotel where people arrive and depart at various times of the day, but the Venetian is a "destination" hotel. People like to stay as long as they can. Now, how are you going to get 4,000 suites turned over between noon and noon?

At least during the first few days of operation last week, there were huge lines for check-in early afternoon and a lot of upset people when they find out they can't get their room at 12pm. Duh!

So, last weekend, they're giving their customers 50% off if they don't check-in until 7pm.
Sep 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys. Yeah, Kathie less stress when you don't know the language is especially important as I age. I had not thought about flying from Shanghai to Macau, RK. Since I haven't bought any internal flights yet I could do that(I think that may have been your advice or Shanhainesse on another thread that advised to wait until I am in China for that), but with heavy luggage and all I think the stay in HK first makes more sense. It is surprising that with the experience the Venetian has in Vegas, they have that noon/noon policy. All hotels have a hard start up time but that does seem ridiculous. Thanks again for the advice. Don't have the res yet, Keet, but will do that right away now that I know my thoughts are confirmed by all of you.
Sep 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Larry - right now, there are about 2-4 daily flights PVG-MFM on Air Macau and/or Shanghai Airlines. It's a possibility.