Visa for India

Old Feb 17th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa for India

Need some advice from my traveling friends.
I recently renewed my US passport.
The old passport has a Visa for India valid until July 2017.
I want to travel in April 2017 for just 10 days or so.

The Visa site for India says if you have a new passport, you can travel with the new and old passport and the visa will be valid.

So, my question is I can carry both the passports, old one showing visa uptil July 2017, but how can I be sure that the people at the airport will be okay with the rule that I have read.

I am worried that I may buy my ticket and carry my new and old passport and my visa and some person at the airport may give me a problem.

I plan to print the paragraph I found on Cox and King site as a proof on paper to show if questioned.
Some of you experienced travelers may have some advice for me.
Thanks for your help.
Time is short and I really should book my ticket soon.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 04:37 AM

Ilene, I did this a couple days ago, having to show both my expired USA passport with its ten yr India visa which is good through 2021, and my current passport. This happened three times: SFO fir flt San Francisco to
Abu Dhabi; Abu Dhabi fir flt AD to Ahmedabad; finally, at Ahmedabad immigration. No one was surprised.A friend went through similar in SFO and Mumbai without problems.
I'd still carry the relevant info section of visa info, so if you get any hassles--as unlikely as it is--you can
ask for a manager, and show that person the info.
Book your flights!
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 07:17 AM

Yes, that is a valid way to do it, and you should not have a problem. But if it worries you, Cox and Kings can likely transfer the visa to your new passport. I know Transvisa offered to do it for me for a nominal fee, something like $15.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

CaliNurse--you are so very considerate to reply since you have just reached India. Your experience makes me less anxious.

I am only going to Delhi, so will be in the capital city and not in smaller cities, thus, hopefully will have no problem.

I am actually very impressed to note that in all your stops no one questioned, thus very, very positive. Sending you a huge hug and a million thanks for your prompt reply.
Now enjoy your great experience in Incredible India.

Kathie--thanks to you also for your prompt reply. Really appreciate your encouraging words and your tip about getting it transferred.
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 07:55 PM
Les

ileen,
My only concern would be if only 3 months remaining on the visa (at the time of travel) would be acceptable. I know many countries require at least 6 months on a passport, but not sure about the visa.
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Les for your reply.
I called the visa office for India, Cox and King and have been assured that I can travel.
I plan to just travel for a week. Hopefully all will be well.
Have a great weekend.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 05:54 PM

hey ileen would you be coming to india in april. i am in new delhi so if you need any local help or advise, you could just let me know. happy travels.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Priya for your offer to help.
Wondering if the new metro system goes to the airport or not. Can we take the metro near airport to go to central New Delhi.

How hot will be the weather in April.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 12:18 AM

hi ileen yes the metro goes to the central delhi. if you are staying in paharganj area, then its best as the airport metro goes straight to new delhi railway station in 20 minutes. what time would you come. the entrance to the metro is on the left hand side as soon as you come out of the international airport. its underground metro. you can also ask someone. it works from 6 am to 10/11 pm so if u are between these hours its perfectly fine to take the metro.
april is going to be okay, not so hot. i guess around 30 degrees in early april.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Priya.
You recently joined Fodors, so are you planning a trip somewhere.
Are you a student.
Maybe with your information, I will try to use the metro, if possible.
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 08:39 PM

hey ileen,

no i am not studying right now, finished it 5 years back. now married and settled in delhi. planning a trip later this year to europe may be.