Vietnam Questions

Search

Vietnam Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vietnam Questions

Not sure how many Vietnam travelers there are on here, but I'll give it a try. I'm flying to Hanoi in a few weeks for a nine day stay.

Anyone been to Cat Ba island? I hear lots of mixed things about it, so I am curious to know others' experiences. I'd really like to spend a day or half day on a beach and maybe see a fishing village or two. Time and October rains will probably prevent me from heading further south.

Any experience with Ninh Binh or Mai Chau?
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 11:27 PM

I didn't like Cat Ba at all. Overcrowded, expensive food and full of touts desperately trying to sell tours etc. It was along time ago but i doubt much has changed.

The Mai Chau valley on the other hand, is probably my favourite place in Vietnam. Very peaceful, beautiful scenery and wonderfully welcoming people. We stayed in a homestay which i would highly recommend but I believe there is now a hotel in the area. Great walking along the valleys through some picturesque villages. Some photos of our time there:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/3/tpod.html
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I was thinking along the same lines. Are there specific places you recommend around Mai Chau? The book I has just says there are nice walks in the area, but doesn't give any details.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM

Crellston, what is the information for connecting to the home stay?
Thanks.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 10:16 AM

wintersp - we hired a car and driver as we were driving the Dien Bien Phu loop from Sapa back to Hanoi. We changed the itinerary en-route and got the driver to take us to Mai Chau. We hire teh driver via Topas tours http://www.topasecolodge.com/. probably easier (and cheaper) to organise with one of the many operators in the old quarter in Hanoi most of which will organise homestays - We used Kangaroo tours for a trip to Ba Be and they were pretty good. Mai Chau is around 5/6 hours from Hanoi so you could organise something on arrival.