Vietnam and coffee

Feb 5th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Vietnam and coffee

Greetings! We're going to VN in March and in my travel reading I read that VN has the 2nd best coffee in the world. Agree or disagree?
Any suggestions as to what kind to purchase? Thank you in advance.
Feb 6th, 2014, 08:22 AM

Have no idea about ranking, but Vietrnamese coffee is served quite differently - over ice and condensed milk. I always get it without the ice and milk, and enjoy it.
Feb 6th, 2014, 06:57 PM

Coffee in Vietnam is very strong. Tried some kind of coffee in other countries and found very light. Vietnamese coffee should be tried with ice and milk. To enjoy coffee, try at some coffee shops on pavement. It is very cheap - just about $1.
Feb 7th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Like with coffee everywhere, it's a matter of taste. VN offers a huge range of coffee beans, and most are excellent. Some will argue the battle is between the big companies Trung Nguyen and Highland. We brought back some of each and like the Highland better - their Kuli variety. We would suggest you go to a some shops that sell coffee to drink and also the grounds/beans. Try out several varieties and buy accordingly. Prices will range from extremely inexpensive to wildly expensive (compared to in the U.S.) so shop wisely. If you are in HCMC or Hanoi, stay away from the tourist markets, as their prices are exhorbitant. And please try it all ways - hot, iced, with condensed milk and without. You'll find your own favorite method.
Feb 7th, 2014, 10:06 PM

Its said to be the second largest producer after Brazil,not the second best.Though I like coffee,I particularly didn't cherish VN coffee.Very strong,acidic and had a distinctive flavor served with condensed milk.The Cafes serve coffee freshly brewed as the decoction drips through a single cup perculator,(which I brought a couple back home) in to the cuppa.
Try the Vietnamese Egg Coffee.
Feb 8th, 2014, 12:37 AM

Strong and delicious. It’s a must try while in Hanoi. I tried iced coffee with condensed milk and egg coffee in an old coffee shop in the Old Quarter. Both were excellent. Don’t miss it!
Feb 8th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I went to one of our local Vietnamese restaurants and tried an ice coffee with condensed milk.
O. M. G.!!!!! It was one of the most delicious drinks I've ever had, yet I was up until 2am!! hahaha. (Did I mention I'm not a coffee drinker??)
I look forward to trying it again, though I will be a little more cautious. heehee
Apr 15th, 2014, 10:29 PM

I dislike Vietnamese coffee in Vietnam because they add too much butter and some flavoring during that it doesn't taste like natural coffee.
Apr 27th, 2014, 08:09 PM

If you need Vietnamese Cafe you have to know the place! I agree with John_Ger that Vietnamese cafe is strong and delicious. You should try cafe with egg at Giang cafe in the old quarter! it is great cafe in hanoi! come and try you will love it!
May 19th, 2014, 11:56 PM

We find cafe egg in Hanoi only or everywhere in Vietnam?
May 20th, 2014, 09:00 PM

I was never a coffee drinker until I had cà phê sữa đá. Now I'm addicted to it.