Vietnam and Cambodia...for a Prego lady and tired husband

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to vist Vietnam and Cambodia on a side trip from Thailand. We will have 4 days for Vietnam and 1.5 days for Cambodia before we need to get to Bangkok.

Our background: I will be 6.5 months pregnant at the time of travel...so that limits me on a few things..but not much. We love all food, cultural experiences, luxury hotels, wonderful service, amazing massages/spas, white sand beaches... You name it...we probably like it. Our budget is not very limited this trip...so all suggestions (no matter the price) are welcomed

Questions: Where would you stay in Vietnam (4 days) and Cambodia (1.5 days)? What would you do with that amount of time? Is it safe in Cambodia for a pregnant lady? Any guide/driver suggestions? Airlines and transportation??

All help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 02:30 AM

I hope that your 4 days in Vietnam and 1-1/2 days in Cambodia do not include travel time. Even then you are not allowing yourself much time in either place. 3 full days is about right for Siem Reap, Cambodia (where Angkor Wat is located) - some spend much more time there but I would not spend any less. That leaves you with 2-1/2 days for Phnom Phen. Alternatively, you could go to either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City and do side trips - Halong Bay from Hanoi or the Mekong Delta from HCMC. The weather may be better for a HCMC trip at that time of year.

Let us know what you decide and we can give you more specifics.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 04:22 AM

The itinerary would be a challenge because of your limited time. I would have suggested Hanoi and Siem Reap but neither has white sand beaches. Have you been to either country before? From the qualities that you list and your need to be in Bangkok, what about staying in the south of Thailand rather than Vietnam and Cambodia?
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Like Craig and Femi, I think you need to pause and reconsider your plan. Four days would be adequate for a quick stop somewhere in VN, if you are not counting any travel time (so, for four days, it would mean you are staying there 5 nights). One and a half days is simply silly for Cambodia.

What is it you want from this 5.5 days before getting to Bangkok? Once you have an answer, then choose your destination for the whole 5.5 days.

Note that you will be more tired than usual at 6.5 months. You'll need to schedule fewer activities, go more slowly, take time to get out of the heat.

If you want a beach location, I agree with Femi - choose a beach location in Thailand where facilities are very good.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the others - I wouldn't consider what you're suggesting if I were young and not pregnant - and you say your husband is tired. Pick a posh resort-type hotel in southern Thailand, and save Vietnam and Cambodia for a trip when you can do them justice. They are great places for cultural experiences and sight-seeing, but not so much for the other things you list.

If I had 5.5 days in Vietnam I would go to Hanoi, but if you want a beach you might be better off near Hoi An, or in Nha Trang or Mui Ne.

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM

If I were pregnant, I'd stay here:

http://www.sixsenses.com/Six-Senses-...-and-Rates.php

I think it's important to remember, if my sleuthing serves me right, that travelmom has been pregnant before, so she knows the territory; is well versed in Asian travel and know the humidity and heat issues - she's active, adventurous, mid-thirties, cashed-up - so really, the only odd thing is thinking of going to Siem Reap for just 1.5 days.

Critical mass will tell you that's just a bit silly, not 'cos you're pregnant, but just 'cos it's a waste - but zillions of people do it, just the same. Maybe they ain't 6.5 months pregnant - but you know what you're capable of.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

dogster...pretty good sleuthing Yes...this is my 3rd pregnancy and I am pretty good at staying active etc. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I wish we had more time for Vietnam and Cambodia...and we plan to visit again like we have other places in SE Asia. However, our kids will be arriving in Bangkok 7 days after we arrive. So...7 days is all we have got. After this 7 day side trip...we will be in Phuket/Koh Lanta/Bangkok for the rest of the trip. (12 days) With young kids (one of which will be his 1st international trip) the southern beaches with short daytrips will be a perfect way to relax and have fun as a family.

So with all that information on hand...

I have read more posts and saw that the two places many people say are locations that need to be visited soon (due to popularity and change) are Luang Prabang and Siem Reap. Would these two places be do-able with 6 days (not including travel time)?

I know that many of you might think this is crazy to do it in such short time...but I promise I will return again and spend more time in both places.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Luang Prabang and Siem Reap can be done with 6 days excluding travel time. I know this because we've done it - your flights might be a little tricky - I think you still need to return to Bangkok when going between the two locations.

In any case, Siem Reap is an easy 1 hour flight from Bangkok. If you take the first flight out of Bangkok, you'll have a full day in Siem Reap. There are tons of good hotels in Siem Reap - we enjoyed the Hotel de la Paix. Contact Ponheary if you want to arrange a guide and driver in advance.

The flights from Bangkok to Luang Prabang are in the middle of the day so as I said you'll have to work around that. We had a fantastic stay at the Maison Souvannaphoum but others have given it mixed reviews - we had the largest suite in the hotel which probably made a difference. I think someone mentioned a new upscale boutique hotel in town but I don't remember the details. Many have been quite satisfied staying at the La Residence Phou Vou. It is not in town though, a big disadvantage, IMO. You don't need a guide in LP.

You need to make hotel and flight reservations NOW. You are going at a busy time.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Why is your husband tired? You wearin' him out?
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Mango7: hahahahaha! My husband works in a very high stress environment and needs some good decompression time. However, he is a travel fanatic and is always up for new places etc.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Poor guy. I feel for him. Tell him to retrain his thinking so he won't stress. Hope you guys have fun in SEA
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a ton! We are excited to go "home" to SEAsia. This will be year number five in a row.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM

what would you do about the malaria risk in cambodia? I don't think you can take anti-malarials when pg but malaria is meant to be dangerous when pg as well so not the time to take the risk?

I think i'd got for the full 5.5 days in vietnam
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM

personally i would skip cambodia and add the time to VN...make that trip #6 or 7...
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Good point Bella...good thing to think about. I will talk to my travel doctor about that. thanks!!
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Bob-- good call...maybe I can do Cambodia non-pregnant next time So What would you do in Vietnam with my limited time?
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM

i would spend the whole time in and around hanoi...plenty to do there...maybe a day trip to halong...although with such a short time i would stay closer to town...
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM

When in the year this is could be a deciding factor I would have thought, even if you have experienced tropical weather.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM

If I was going to make one stop in VN, I'd choose Hanoi. But, as others have said, it depends on the time of the year. Another option would be Hua/Hoi An/DaNang which would allow you to spend a couple of days at a beach as well as doing some cultural exploration.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

We will be there mid March...if that helps with weather etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -