Victoria Peak our 1st night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We only have a day and a half in Hong Kong so we want to maximize what we can see. I was wondering if this was doable...

We land in Hong Kong at 7pm. If we aren't too tired by the time we get to out hotel (we're estimating around 8:30-9pm) we were hoping to see the harbour and head up to Victoria Peak to see everything at night.

Our hotel is in Kowloon (on Observatory Road) about a 15 min walk to the Star Ferry or 5 min to the subway. We were hoping to take a ferry across to get a better view but could make do with the subway.

The tram closes at midnight, what time do the subway and ferries stop running? How long does the ferry or subway take to get there?

Most of all, is this
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

oops, I hit post reply by accident!

Last line should be:
Most of all, is this doable in the time we have after we land?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:09 PM

I'd recommend that you instead walk over to the Kowloon waterfront (Avenue of Stars, or whatever they call it), where you will have a view that is every bit as breathtaking as the one from Vic Peak. It's also a lot livelier, withg lots of people enjoying the ambience and view.

Finding your way to the Peak Tram from either the Star Ferry terminal or the subway (unless you find and take the bus) can also be more than a bit tricky for one who has been in Hong Kong for about 90 minutes.

I'd wait until the next day or next visit for Vic Peak if time and weather allow.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM

I agree. Save The Peak for next day. But you can definitely take the Star Ferry across the harbor and back. It's so cheap you can do it more than once if you want.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:21 PM

A few suggestions:

1. If you aren’t going to have another opportunity to see the view from the Peak at night, and if it is a clear night, then you should definitely go. I always take my houseguests to the Peak on their first night, as the wow impact is really hard to beat, but I live on the Hong Kong side (and now on the Peak) so it is easier for me; but for you also it really would not be difficult IMO. I would take the Star Ferry over to Central (something you want to do at night and also during the day anyway). From there I would just take a taxi to the Peak Tram terminus on Cotton Tree Drive, it’s about a 3 minute ride and will cost you HK$15-20. (US$2.50 tops, no tipping required). You can then take the Tram up to the Peak. I agree walking to the terminus station can be confusing; I am constantly directing lost tourists in Central holding street maps on how to get to the Peak Tram terminus, as street signage is pretty non-existent. But taxis will be at the Star Ferry and so just take one. Lines for the tram DOWN from the Peak at night can sometimes be longish, you can instead take the #15 bus or the number #1 minibus; the view from the double-decker #15 bus is going to be better, sit on the left for slight better views on the way down. You can also take a taxi down if you stay past midnight, a taxi to the Star Ferry or the MTR (subway) at Admiralty will cost you about HK$60-80 (US$10 or less).

If you want to have a meal on the Peak, try Pearl on the Peak (more formal and expensive but excellent, a window table is a must, make a reservation tel: 852-2849-5123), Café Deco (view slightly better than the food an upscale TGIF but perfectly acceptable, www.cafedeco.com) or the Peak Lookout (lovely outdoor back terrace, but at night limited views, good food, http://www.thepeaklookout.com.hk/). For just a drink, try Café Deco and get a table outside on their tiny balcony. Pearl on the Peak has a small balcony too and may serve desrt and drinks there is you don’t want a meal (they have great deserts). Any of these would be good during the day, the Peak Experience is quite nice for lunch outdoors. If you will have time during the rest of your 1.5 days in Hong Kong, then going to the Peak at dusk and staying as the lights come up over the city is, IMO, the best time to be there. Sunset times can be found at sunrisesunset.com

If you get a clear morning, early morning is quite nice up top, too. There is a Starbucks and a Pacific Coffee company both good for breakfast; views from the Pacific Coffee Company hanging over the tram tracks are unparalleled.

You are of course, not really at the Peak at all when you take the tram or bus up, you are at Victoria Gap. If you want to go up to “The Peak”, you have to walk up Mt Austin Road another 30 minutes or so, a nice walk uphill, with some very nice Southside views if you get a clear day.

2. I agree that the view from the Kowloon esplanade is excellent both night and day. You will want to see this at some point in daylight and at night in any event. You could easily walk there from your hotel. The Intercontinental Hotel has a very nice casual restaurant with that excellent view, called the Harbourside which may be good for dinner. That way you can eat and take in the view. (http://hongkong-ic.dining.intercontinental.com). There is also a Nobu and a Spoon if you really want to splash out with a view there.

3. The subway (MTR) stops running around 1 am, but it of course does not go anywhere near the Peak, you have to take the tram, a bus or a taxi up or down. The ferry takes about 5 minutes to cross the harbour. The Star Ferry stops running at 11:30 pm (from Central to TST Kowloon). The #15 bus and #1 minibus to the Peak stop running at about midnight. The buses take between 20-40 minutes or so to get up or down from the Peak, depending on the route and traffic/crowds (#1 minibus is usually faster as it does not have regular stops).

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:42 AM

I don't recall Spoon having any windows. I haven't been to Nobu, but I ate frequently at Yu (which Nobu replaced), and Yu did indeed have excellent views.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Well if you rmember Yu, you will recall Plume, and Spoon is in the old Plume space and has the same fine views. Perhaps you were in a private room at Spoon and did not have views, but the main dining rooms has lovely views.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!!