VAT refund in Thailand?

Search

VAT refund in Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VAT refund in Thailand?

Some trip reports here have mentioned getting a VAT refund in Thailand.
I have only done this in Europe before. Is it pretty much the same procedure?

Is there a minimum purchase in each store in order to be eligible for a refund? And about what percentage do you get back?

Is the VAT refund only for retail purchases? What about custom-made clothing?

Thanks for any info!
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 03:55 PM

There is a minimum purchase (off the top of my head I think it was about 5000bt in the one shop) Also it is only available from retailers displaying the VAT refund sign. There are not that many stores. I find that other stores will nearly always match a price to the deal you would get at a VAT store and without any of the hassle of claiming back.

You have to be able to show the products at the airport before checking in and then present the dockets inside the terminal for the refund - there is a 100bt fee. VAT is currently about 7%. So if you are buying expensive things its probably worth it.

Check about things like jewellery as its the identification at the airport thats the problem - there is a website about it (sorry can't remember the address) but its easy to find - just search on Thailand VAT refund and it will come up - with a list of retailers as well so you'll get the idea of where you could shop.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 07:16 PM

March,
I was there in November and this was the deal:

To get a VAT refund you had to
1. Shop from at the stores with the "VAT Refund for Tourists sign"
2. Total amount of your purchase must be at least 5,000 Baht (VAT included)
3. You had to sepend at leaser 2,000 Baht (VAT included)
4. Present your Passport and complete your VAT Refund Application Form at the store on the purchase date.
I haven't actually tried this web site, but I think it will give you the info you're looking for
www.rd.go.th
Have a great trip.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 01:31 AM

It's very easy and I've claimed it at least half a dozen times. Total shopping while in Bkk should be 5000 baht. In any one store at ONE time (this is different from Europe where u can aggregate diff day's receipts) u must spend 2000 for them to process the form for you. Most large stores do it without any fuss - Jim Thompson incl the outlet, Central dept store, even my fav shoe shop, Tango. I have never been asked to show any packed purchases at customs tho you must get your forms stamped before you check in your bags. I was once asked to show a Bulgari watch both outside and inside - again standard practive everywhere that high value items are to be inspected. You get back about 5%. Custom made clothing unlikely unless the tailor has a VAT registration.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, MaryW, 123go, and hobbes!
I appreciate the information.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:40 PM

its easier than europe....you can get an instant refund at the airport in the departure lounge...cash or credit card credit...you have to show your slips and items before your check in to the airline....DO IT FIRST....office is way to the left in the departures hall...they ahve never looked at any of our stuff....just stamp the papers...