Search

Vaccinations for Thailand preconception

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaccinations for Thailand preconception

Hi there.

I know vaccinations have been discussed many times before and have read up on what is recommended for Thailand. For those regular visitors, I'd love your opinions/ advise.

We are going to Thailand in August - Bangkok, Koh Samui, Koh Tao and either Phuket, K. PhiPhi or Krabi. We are not pregnant yet, but will be trying from August onwards (no kids yet, clock ticking away... you get the idea). We've changed our orginal plans to avoid Koh Chang due to high malaria and dengue fever risk.

We were planning to get the Hep A and Typhoid shots, but recently I was reading that it's not recommended to get pregnant for at least 3 months after getting them! Anyone been in the same situation?? What's the story? I have been looking at cdc website, but can't find all the answers.

Of course, we don't want to get sick, but we also don't want to put any potential pregnancy/ baby at risk either. Now, the best idea would probably be to wait until after 3 months has passed... since we're going to be on our honeymoon this may be difficult (only 99% reliable bc). And I don't know how accurate 3 months wait is... certainly don't want to find out the shots adverse affect on preg. extends past 3 months of having the shot.

I will be going to our travel clinic this week, but would appreciate any wise words from people who've been in a similar situation.

Many thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Talk with your own gynecologist as well as the travel clinic doc.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM

We got our shots for Thailand (Hep A and B, not sure if we did Typhoid or not, I'd have to check our records) last fall and were specifically told that Hep A and B were safe to get even if you were pregnant already. Especially since both are a series, it was a question we had.

Definitely speak to your travel clinic. It was the nurse/vaccine administrator who advised us as such. Also, perhaps a call to your OB's office will help settle your mind.

We didn't end up getting pregnant until a few months after returning from Thailand, but my OB never asked about how recently we had been vaccinated etc. I'm still supposed to go in for the 3rd shot of one of the series (for longer term immunity), but will probably wait until after the baby is here for that.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM

As a PS, if you haven't already, I'd recommend getting tested for Rubella immunity by your OB prior to conceiving. That you will definitely need a 3 month window prior to conceiving, as the vaccination and the strain are lethal to embryo/fetus.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM

You definitely need to consult your doctor now, as your time is limited. Already, you don't have enough time to complete the series for Hepatitis A and B. Having part of the series gives you partial immunity, but it's anything but foolproof...we are proof that that immunity is indeed partial, as we all got Hep A in Bali after having had 2 of the 3 doses of Twinrix. Our illness was milder than it would have been without the vaccine according to the doctor, but was still not at all fun. (Hep A and B combo vaccine). http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/2081ab.htm might be useful for you.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for all the advice. I went to the travel clinic today and received Hep A and Typhoid vac. In 6 months I can go back for the 2nd Hep A shot to keep immunity for 10 years. I guess the vac. where you have to go 3 times is for the combination hep A and B shot. The dr. indicated that since they didn't use "live" vaccinations that it would be ok for me and hubby to be to start trying again one month after the shots. Phew! That's a relief... still I think I'll give it a little longer to be safe.