Ultrathon (DEET) questions

Sep 16th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Ultrathon (DEET) questions

I have some Ultrathon (34% DEET) for our trip to Cambodia and Thailand in Nov. For those of you who use it, I have some questions which the label does not address:
When you need to also use sunscreen, which do you apply first?
I know you're not supposed to use it on eyes, mouth, and palms of hands. But do you use it on the rest of your face, ears, and backs of hands?
Sep 16th, 2006, 06:09 AM

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ts/Home/FAQ#11

Since this FAQ from 3M says you will have to reapply sunscreen more often and does not specify which to apply first, it seems like you would put the sunscreen first, then DEET, then sunscreen more often than usual as DEET reduces the effectiveness of the sunscreen.

Sep 16th, 2006, 08:23 AM
bluesman78

How much of a problem is mosquitoes and malaria? I am going to Bangkok, Phuket, and Siem Reap. Is malaria medicine advised?

Sep 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM
bluesman78

Ok i did some research - sorry I am just learning to use this forum- the search function is quite cumbersome.

But anyways can you buy the Ultrathon in Thailand? Is the lotion or spray more recommended?

Sep 16th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Bluesman, you cannot buy Ultrathon in Thailand, it is a specific brand of sustained release deet-containing repellant. You can buy other deet-containing repellants. You want a repellant that contains 25-50% deet.

DO read teh cdc website www.cdc.gov/travel for info on recommended vaccines and info on malaria.
Sep 16th, 2006, 01:26 PM
sandi

Between visits to Africa and Southeast Asia I've used Deet products on exposed skin only. If my concern was Dengue whose mossies bite during the day and I'm wearing walking shorts with short sleeve shirt, then the repellent goes on the legs and arms. If for malaria whose mossies bite from dusk to dawn, I do my utmost to be wearing long pants and long sleeves and repellents goes on ankels and wrists. Never on the face or back of the neck. And always when returning to my room or tent always wash the stuff off. Rooms are most always air conditioned. Some may have mossie nets, more as a decorative item. Tents have been treated, though I will spray inside the tent before heading to dinner so it can settle, but never over the bed linen.

All but my ankles have survived being bitten. Mossie just love the ankles, so they get special treatment, even if I have to wear socks in the evenings.

Thankfully, nothing serious from the bites, but the desire to scratch, which antiseptic or anti-itch creme takes care of. And no reactions whatsoever to anti-malarial meds; nowadays it's Malarone, though even with the Lariam years back only side-effect was occasional interrupted sleep.

Sep 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM

I believe you can buy a product whith is both sunscreen and contains Deet. Try REI or similiar place.

Just looked in the cabinet - Off Deep Woods with sunscreen - spf 15 Deet 19%.
Sep 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM

You can buy the Off sunscreen w/ Deet at any Target. I just bought mine there and it was on-sale really cheap (since they are clearing summer items).
Sep 18th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Note, though that the lower percentage of deet in the Off product means you'll have to apply it more often.