Udaipur to Jaipur - fly or drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the process of planning a trip to India next winter. We will fly from Mumbai to Udaipur. We are undecided as to whether to fly from Udaipur to Jaipur or have a driver and go by road. Is the route interesting or scenic? If we go by road we would do it in one day. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could get up early and take the 6:00 am train, getting to Jaipur at 13:35. That train has AC chair class available.

(For info on Indian trains see: https://www.seat61.com/India.htm )
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 11:39 PM

Jaipur to Udaipur by road or air will depend upon the Tour Itinerary you have in hand or plan. The distance is about 265 miles. There are two roads that one could take. a) The National HW, Udaipur >> Chittorgarh >> Nasirabad & thereon to Jaipur. I have always found it very uninteresting. Yes, one could visit Fort Chittorgarh, 'a princess among provinces' as James Todd recalled it in c1821! b) The old road that goes via Beawar, with Rass Devigarh standing tall on your right as you take this road. I have always found it more interesting though it takes much longer to arrive in Jaipur.
The question is that if you fly from Udaipur to Jaipur, you will miss all the wonderful sights of south Rajasthan, the most interesting being the area around Ranakpur, with the splendid Jain temples, the ancient fort of Kumbhalgarh with splendid views of Marwar from its ramparts; the 'Beautiful & otherworldly Landscapes in India', at Bera, some 90 miles south of Jodhpur...and Jodhpur with the iconic Hotel Umaid Bhawan Palace sitting high above on hillock, and the most photogenic forts in all Rajasthan, I mean the Mehrangarh Fort.
Happy travels!
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 12:34 PM

During the winters, the weather is pleasant but make sure you check the climate before you start your travel( iPhone is god for tourist's specially when you have WEATHER application installed in it). Fog is what you should avoid on a day of your travelling. its a major cause of road accidents on highways. Udaipur and Jaipur is part of Rajasthan and if you are visiting these places , try to do camel safari but you have to find a nice price for camel safaris too. Try to negotiate the price as its never fixed and its a tourist place so they usually charge more.
Flight is the easiest and quickest way so if you are doing this journey by flight make sure you book your tickets in advance. The early you book, the cheap it is.
Let me know if you have any other questions, i know the country in and out. I speak all the major languages of this country and have contacts in every state of India.

P.S :- NAMASTE , say this word to everyone you meet and they will smile at you with respect and will reply with the same word . It means hello in Hindi language.

Pushkar is also a tourist spot .
Good luck for your journey.
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 07:58 PM

We took a pleasant, short early morning flight in the opposite direction, from Jaipur to Udaipur. We do not want to waste time driving, hence we had a good, full day of sightseeing in Udaipur when we arrived. Our driver and guide drove after they left us in Jaipur. I believe it took them ten hours. If I had to do it over, I would fly again. My son did the logistical planning on that trip, and he felt that there was nothing in between the two cities to warrant spending so much time driving.
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. We have decided to fly .