Reload this Page >

Two days and nights in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Alison

My husband and I will be staying in Bangkok on a two day layover between Phuket and Hong Kong. Could you please recommend what we should do in such a short time? What places must we go to and where should we definitely eat?<BR><BR>Thanks for your suggestions!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Jim Rosenberg

If you're staying in one of the major hotels, the chances are very good that you can hook up with some interesting tours through the front desk that will show you a lot. We used Turismo Thai for a number of these and we thought they were very good. They have a half-day city tour that takes in several interesting temples and another that features the Grand Palace -- well worth seeing. There are some dinner shows, too. You can also do some exploring on your own; taxis are VERY cheap in Bangkok.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Marilyn

I would put Grand Palace and Wat Pho on the top of the must-see list.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Peter

Ive been to Bangkok many times...Id recommend going to Jim Thopsom House --the museum not store...also hit the night market at Patpong ---bargain hard too

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Alison

Thanks so much for your suggestions. As far as location, what is the best place to be for a hotel? Along the river or somewhere in the city (where?)?<BR><BR>Alison

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:40 PM
sally

Along the river, definitely. I stayed last year at the Sheraton Royal Orchid. A 5 star hotel with a full spa and the best Thai restaurant. Directly on the river with a shopping mall right next door, an ATM across the street and the water taxis right next door. You must do the floating market trip. One of my fondest and funniest trips ever. Remember to bargain with all the sales people. And if you see it in Bangkok, whether 'real' or a 'knock-off'....buy it there. Better prices and varities than in Hong Kong. Just remember to dress appropriately when visiting certain religious sights...Buddhas.<BR>Long pants and your upper arms must be covered. If you are not dressed properly, you will be turned away or given someone elses clothes to wear. Ech!