Trying to do too much?

Search

Trying to do too much?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to do too much?

I have a concern for my late Oct / early Nov Honeymoon. I'm I trying to do too much? here is the plan Bangkok 4 nights, Chaing Mai 2 nights, Chaing Rai 3 nights, and lastly Krabi 4 nights. I am planning on taking a plane whenever possible, but I am concerened that the traveling will cut in to my fun. Any suggestions would be great.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 02:43 PM
sandi

We did a similar trip the same time last year - though first spending 2-days in Siem Reap Cambodia. But once back in Thailand did 4-nts BKK, only 1-nt Chiang Mai and 2-nts Chiang Rai, finally spending 4-nts in Phuket.

You will not be spending too much time with flying if you arrange the earliest flight in the morning. It's only 1-hr flight to Chiang Mai and probably less than that to Chiang Rai (but we drove with guide/driver between these two) and then flight from Chiang Rai to Phuket. The only problem is that you usually have to do your last flight to Krabi via BKK and this was the only portion that took time from being out on the beach.

Returning from Phuket we took late flight and overnighted at airport hotel to make an early departure next morning to the States.

Check the Thai Air site for flight schedules to get an idea of times.

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:27 PM

This is your honeymoon? How much time do you want to spend flying as apposed to relaxing? Even if you take the earliest flight in the morning, you are still devoting a significant part of your day to packing, getting to the airport, flying, getting to your next hotel and unpacking. For me, I'd choose three locations max for a vacation. If it was my honeymoon, I'd choose two locations.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 03:57 AM
sandi

Doitwell -

Kathie makes a good point re traveling and packing and unpacking, but unless you empty your entire suitcase, there is no time taken by doing this, nor the flying time.

Even when we went to Siem Reap at beginning of our trip, we left our main suitcase in BKK and only took a small bag w/2-dys clothing and even that bag wasn't completely unpacked.

When we arrived back in BKK from REP and with retreiving our main bag from storage, it took w/flying 3-1/2 hrs. door-to-door. Once in BKK we only removed what we needed for our few days there and were out of the hotel before Noon for a full day touring.

Same goes for Chiang Mai, we had landed by 9:45am and out with our tour guide touring for a full day, not going to our nites' hotel till end of day.

Only when we arrived at Phuket did we remove enough clothing for our stay - everything else stayed in our suitcase. The only time we spent with any repacking was our last night when we had to be sure to get all our purchases packed safely and securly.

If as Kathie says, she'd only pick two (2) places - gather she means BKK and Krabi, then if spending that much time on a beach and only visiting BKK (though interesting in culture and sights), I'm sure you can find a beach resort closer to home - maybe the Cook Islands in the South Pacific.

I believe you selected Thailand so that you can discover a new culture, amazing temples, friendly people, interesting food and doing BKK only doesn't quite do it!

The only change I would make to your itinerary is do only 3-nts total combined Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai (unless you plan to go trekking in and around and Chiang Rai area) - you'd have the extra 2-dys in Krabi at end of your honeymoon to relax and enjoy your surroundings.

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your advise, I was woundering if I just go to Chaing Rai and skip Chaing Mai, (keep in mind I would like to do some hikking, and trekking) would I be missing out.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:48 AM

I think you could ship Chaing Mai and just go to Chaing Rai. Chaing Mai has often been voted the most disappointing destination in Thailand.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie,
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 01:37 PM
sandi

If it's hiking and trekking you want to do, then I believe there are more options up near Chiang Rai/Chiang Sean and the Triangle than Chiang Mai, but I can't direct you up in this area.

However, when we were in Chiang Mai, we overnighted 30 miles North at a Trekking Lodge which was voted the best eco-lodge in Asia. You might want to contact them and see what they have to offer.

The site: www.lisulodge.com

Managed by the Lisu Hilltribe, the accommodations are in simple rooms woven palm leave walls, great thick 10" mattresses, great linens, down duvets. There is electricity for fan, lights. Bathroom is plain wood plank floors but with all necessary equipment (commode, sink and shower). It was the best nights' sleep we had in our 2-wks in Asia.

Meals are served at low Thai tables with cushions - Thai food (naturally) and wine. After dinner entertainment was by the children in local dress. Lots of fun and interesting, some great photos.
Breakfast was eggs, bacon, toast, coffe/tea, juice or whatever you want.

Check out the site and see if it works for you or at least have something to compare with options up in the Chiang Rai area.