Trips from Kyoto

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trips from Kyoto

Hello,

In late march, I will be staying in Kyoto for 2 weeks. But, I am planning to take two short excursions of 3-4 days each. On one of the trips, I will visit Nikko and on another I will visit Hiroshima.

I think I have time to see something either between Kyoto and Nikko, or between Kyoto and Hiroshima. Any opinions? I have already seen Nara, Himeji, and Kobe.

Any more general comments are welcome too!

Thanks

Jim
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:03 AM

Go to Matsue. See the castle and some other sites including the great Izumo Taisha. Roll down the San-in Line to Hagi. You can head to Hiroshima from there.

I forget when the fugu fishing season is, but might consider a stop in Shimonoseki if the fugu sashimi was fresh caught.

Kanazawa would be a good trip. Two nights in the city and maybe a night at a nice ryokan. I'd recommend going to Shirakawago except that the trees probably won't be blooming then.

Amanohashidate is one of the three beauty spots in Japan (looking at the photo I am not certain why). It is not too far from Kyoto.

Ise peninsula is another idea.

You'll have to pay attention to the cherry blossom forecasts since you will be there for prime time (possibly) from Kyoto south. Plan to go to Yoshino (from Kyoto) for cb viewing.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM

Make sure you give kyoto its due. I spent almost two weeks there alone (taking day trips) and feel I have a huge amount left to see. I would make sure you spend ten days of your two weeks there -- taking day trips to Uji, Miho, Ohara etc.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

These replies are very, very helpful--- thank you!
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM
kja

Hi, Jim -

In addition to the great ideas above, you might consider Mt. Koya for a temple stay (and to see some stunning scenery, the cemetery at Ukonoin, and some lovely temples).

Enjoy!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM

See also the posting in the Frommers. If you have not done the Gosho(Old Imperial Place)in Kyoto, it is worthwhile to do the free English guided tour to see how the emperors lived.