Trip to Manilla

Aug 24th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Trip to Manilla

Turns out that our trip to Manilla and Bangkok has turned into just 6 days in Manilla.
We'll be staying at the Shagri-La Makati (anyone been there?)
Quick question: Does anyone know of any high end resorts that are not too far from this area?
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Would that be the Edsa Shangrila? If so then we are planning on staying there in feb/march. I have heard it is very nice. The Greenhills shopping center is close by- this is where you can get unheard of deals on south sea baby pearls- we shopped there this year when we were in Manila.
When you say high end resorts what are you looking for? Are you looking for beach resorts? If so I think the closest is Borecay- an hour by plane. The beach is fab but the resorts are probably only 3-4 star. No real 5 star resorts at Borecay. You would have to fly to Palawan to find the really lux resorts - see the El Nido resorts on Palawan (check them out on asiahotels.com).
Search the forum for my trip report to Manila- it gives you a lot of day trip ideas. You won't get much other input on this forum as everyone seems to go to BKK ntimes with trips to Bali and Vietnam sometimes.
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Refer to the "Is it Safe to travel to Manila " post- I have posted my trip report there. I think you would like Villa Escadero and the Falls.
Also try to visit the Singing Waiters and Cooks restaurant on Rojas Blvd. We has a great time there.
We have relatives in Manila and one of them works in a travel agency- let me know if you need some help arranging trips to some of the sights located outside of manila.
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Makati Shangri-La is one of the top hotels in the city. It's in a very convenient location. A lot of shopping malls and restaurants around that you can walk to.

HIgh end resort? How about Amanpulo?

There are private country clubs that are close by - Tagaytay Highlands or Punta Fuego for the beach. These places are by membership only, if your Filipino hosts are members, they can get you in as guests.
Aug 24th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Bock64 - you'll want to see my detailed post about Amanpulo and the Makati Shangri-La (which is different than Edsa). Amanpulo is amazingly luxurious and will allow you to see how beautiful the Philippines really is.

Fodors Thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=27

Amanpulo:
www.amanresorts.com
Aug 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Sorry - that Fodors link didn't work. Do a search on Amanpulo and Makati Shangri-La and you should be able to find it. Both hotel names are in the subject line.