trip to BKK and Phuket

Search

trip to BKK and Phuket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip to BKK and Phuket

We and our 2 kids age 5 and 9 are going to Bkk and phuket next christmas. Any one can recommend suitable hotels in both cities?. We used to go to the Siam intercontinental in BKK but I heard it had been demolished.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:40 AM

the marriott resort and spa on the river in bkk is a great place with kids....intercontinental is gone...a huge new multi use development is being built there now....
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:06 AM

What is your budget?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:07 AM

For Phuket you also need to advise which beach you are thinking of, or if you haven't chosen yet whether you want a busy, quiet or somewhere in between.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:23 AM

How many Intercontinental hotels are there in BKK?

I am leaving on Thursday and we are booked at the Intercontinental through www.asiavoyage24.com Please tell me I haven't just been ripped off.........

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:25 AM

happy...i believe there is a new one...do a search on intercontinentals web site....i think they took over the hotel next door to the gaysorn plaza if i am not mistaken....not too far from the older siam one
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:32 AM

hi we've just come back from bkk and phuket. in bkk we stayed in the marriott on sukhunmvit road. it's very near one of the sky train stations, but i prefered our previous hotel which was the landmark also on sukhunmvit road. infact only a 2 min walk away from the marriott. we found the landmark more friendly, though both are excellent.
in phuket we stayed at the laguna beach resort, bang tao. www.lagunabeach-resort.com it's one of 5 hotels set together. though there were some more expensive and upmarket hotels at laguna beach, we found this one to be the best for the children. the pool was excellent and had a good water slide. rooms a little tired, but very clean with good service. a couple of excellent and cheap places to eat right on the beach in front of the hotel also. it did lots of childrens activities, plus a pool table, table tennis, play station etc.
we had a brill time at easter. hope you do too.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Hi Bob (rhkkmk),
Whew! I freaked out for a minute thinking www.asiavoyage24.com got me this time. But yes, the Intercontinental is right by Gaysorn.

My nerves are on the edge. Both DH and I are working too much and we can't wait for this well deserved R&R to Asia.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:38 PM

and by the sounds you deserve it...you have done good planning so just relax....that is a good location for doing things....the senses restaurant on the second fl or gaysorn is quite good---international...loads of good restaurants off of sukhumvit sois as well...soi 12, 16 and 23 are favorites of mine
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Intercontinental is indeed next door to Gaysorn Plaza. It used to be Le Royal Meridien up until about a year ago. I have stayed at this hotel and would agree that it is an excellent choice!! The Italian restaurant just at street level is very good. The breakfast buffet is (was...) excellent and plentiful with a great variety of items. I stayed in this hotel when it was Le Royal Meridien. But, supposedly the only thing that changed was the NAME. The personnel remain the same, pretty much, so Intercontinental is, I'm sure, of the same standard.

You cannot beat the location!! The skytrain stairway is right outside the front door. Walk across the "driveway" and you are in Gaysorn. Walk just the other side of Gaysorn and you will see the World Trade Center, the Thai Craft Village (Nari Phand) and then about 3 blocks farther (just beyond the canal bridge) is the "garment district" of Pratunam with it's many markets. This is also where Pantip is located. Pantip is a mall that is specifically electronics/computers/software/etc. It's an amazing place, if you like gadgets.

Enjoy your trip!

Carol
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:11 AM

carol...some time ago you posted directions to a basement mall in the same area as patnip....do you have a name for it or the exact directions??

bob

still time to change your mind to have chili before the place closes!!!!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Yes, the poor Siam Intercontinental has been demolished and we all still mourn the loss. That was my hotel,too. I last stayed there in March 2002 and it was torn down a few months later. The guests were very depressed knowing that it would be their last stay there. The Paragon shopping mall is being built on that land...just what Bangkok needs...another mall,right? Good luck finding a new hotel. I've basically moved over to the Four Seasons.Happy Travels!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:45 AM

Bob
Wish I could give you a name for that "basement" place. It could be Pratunam Market??? Son says its kind of across from the Grand Diamond condo, almost next to Amari Watergate. It's almost to Pantip (if you were walking from, let's say... WTC) but on the other side of the street from Pantip. The entry area was not very big so not something you would notice right away. Sorry I can't be of more help. It is on Petchburi Road.

By the way... SNOW is in the possible forecast for tomorrow morning. I just told the gang here that if we get snow in the morning... I'm outa here!!! LOL

Carol
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:38 PM

carol---thanks

no snow in bkk..how about a quick trip?? think of the miles
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. Some one told me there was still a tsunami alert in Phuket. Have you heard about this?
As for the budget we were thinking around 200 dollars a night.
We are also interested in getting info on Koh chang. Transportation, hotels etc. Is it worth it or is it better to go to Phuket. We are very interested in snorkelling, scuba diving so what is the best place for that?
Thanks
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:50 AM

If you are going in December then Phuket/Krabi area would be good weatherwise.

Whoever told you there was a Tsunami alert in Phuket is wrong, no such thing.

For snorkeling and scuba you can take trips around Phi Phi and other islands close to Phuket.

$200 a night is B 8,000, this gives you quite a lot of options. Now, do you want to be in a very busy area such as Patong or do you prefer a quieter beach ( Kata ), also is absolute beachfront important?

For all round 'balance' the Karon Beach Resort might suit as would be within your budget, has absolute beachfront and although not as busy as Patong is close enough to restaurants and shopping, it is also near Dino Park which the kids will enjoy, all rooms are sea view and amazing sunsets, the pool is right on the beach.
Take a look at the photos, tell us if it's the type of place you are looking for and if not we can throw in others, if you wanted Patong then Cocunut Village is good value.
Try www.patong-beach-hotels.com they also have Kata beach, Karon beach, more than 100 properties covering all price ranges. Here is a direct link for pics of Karon Beach resort

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...each/pictures/

That gets you stared, it's a good all round value place and superb location and ideal with kids. There 'are' some apartment/suite places and also lots of cheaper places, but if you can see how you feel on that one really helps to get some idea of what you are after.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Bob
I could use the miles, especially since I flew another airline (not a partner with United) to/from Zurich.

No snow this morning though. So I guess I'll stick around and do the work I'm supposed to be doing. (ugh)

Carol
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:57 PM

carol---GET ON THAT PROOF READING!!!!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Just saw a news blurb about a tsunami drill on Patong beach, Phuket. Maybe this is where the "alert" in a previous post came from. The blurb says that they are mounting loud speakers and developing a warning system for Phuket.

Carol
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:46 AM

i think that for the forseeable future there will always now be an alert so that authorities can spring into action should there be an undersea disturbance....people will be watching and will be aware for future mishaps...one would expect nothing less....that does not mean don't go there and enjoy the place..it just means to be aware of future potential....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -