trip report - Mumbai/Jaipur/delhi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Returned from business/pleasure trip to India last Wednesday and must say that India is getting more expensive every day.

We flew on Malaysia airlines - business class. On the way to KL, we had the old 747, but the rest of the trip (KL to Mumbai; Mumbai to KL and KL to LA) we had the new plane with the slanting flat seat/bed in business class. The service was good, but I felt the food was not as good as our last trip. We stayed at the MO for one night on the way to Mumbai. The hotel is first rate, although their check in desk is SLOW. Ate lunch and dinner at the chinese restaurant at MO, wonderful food.

Arrived to mumbai on valentine's day, stayed for the first two nights at the Juhu marriot. Did not care much for the hotel, our car was checked everytime we entered the hotel and we had to pass through security every time we wanted the hotel. The room was small (had paid for the superior delux room) with a partial view of the beach. The executive lounge was nothing to write home about.Food was average and they missed our 5:00 am wake up call.

Made it to the airport for our 6:30 am flight to Jaipur. Stayed for one night at the Rajvilas. The hotel is great and has maintained it's great service. The rooms are well maintained. We were upgraded to a tent and although I prefer the regular rooms, we decided to try the tent. Food is not great, but everything else is excellent. We ate lunch at the Rambagh hotel, and I must say that the food was excellent.

Drove the next day from Jaiput to Delhi for a business meeting. The drive was a killer, bad traffic. stayed one night at the Imperial. Good hotel, room was well decorated although our heritage suite had only one small window facing a courtyard - no view and the room was dark. However, since we checked in late in the evening and were driving back to jaipur the next morning, we did not ask for a room change.

We left delhi at 10:00am and arrived to Jaipur at 3:00 pm, traffic was much worse than last year.

We took the 8:30 PM Jet Airways flight from Jaiput to Mumbai. For the next three nights we stayed at the Taj. Loved our room. Had most of our meals at the hotel. Did not care much for the food at the golden dragon(chinese) but LOVED the food/servce at the new indian restaurant "masala kraft" - a must.

In Jaipur we did visit a number of jewelry stores, but could not find anything which matched what we saw at gem palace, I just love their designs. In mumbai we found a good tailor at the Taj but they were busy so you need to give them enough time if you want something made. Did some shopping in Mumbai, email me if you need the names and addresses.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Celeste60. Thanks for the info. Besides hotels which I know are very high are there other things/services tec. that have become more pricey in India. What were the price ranges of the jewelery at the Gem Palace? Is that in Jaipur? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:37 PM

ttt
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

I have been traveling to India since 1994 and have seen the gradual increase in the price of hotels, transportation and food. However, inflation has been pretty steep the past three years, especially when it comes to hotel accomodation and food.

As to shopping for jewelry, I am not fond of heavy Indian design jewelry, that is the reason I like the jewelry at Gem Palace. Their main office is in Jaipur, but they have a store at the Courtyard in Mumbai. Although I felt that the prices were lower and more negotiable at their branch in Jaipur. I also buy loose stone in Jaipur and have Gem Palace make jewelry for me. In my opinion there is no jeweler in India to match their workmanship. You can find jewelry at Gem Palace ranging from $20 and up. We also ordered a few pieces of jewelry from L. Sunderdas Jewelers in Mumbai. They are on Hughes Road. Their prices are lower than Gem Palace but they do not have the range of styles at Gem Palace. Although diamond jewelry is cheaper in Mumbai.

If you want to buy cushion cover, table cloths, bed spread, etc. I would buy it from Anokhi in Delhi or Mumbai. The prices at Anokhi are very good and the quality and workmanship excellent.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the info Celeste.