trekking in Chiang Mai - malaria pills?

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trekking in Chiang Mai - malaria pills?

I've read CDC and the numerous posts on fodors regarding when malaria pills are recommended. I've read that they are not recommended for Chiang Mai, but what about if we plan to do some trekking or visit other villages in the area?
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Exactly where will you be treking? And will you be staying overnight out there? These are the questions you'll need to consider before talking with a travel medicine pro.

Malarial mosquitos are active mostly at duk and dawn, but do bite all night. If you are not going to be staying overnight, then most professionals would say just use an effective repellant.

IF you are staying overnight, you'll need to take a careful look at the malarial risk map for Thailand. I'll go hunt it up and give you a link.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I appreciate the link. We haven't decided whether or what kind of trekking we want to do. Probably not overnight.

We didn't have much confidence in the doctors we saw, as two of them at the clinic (though it was not a travel clinic) tried to prescribe larium, when we specifically told them we were going to siem reap, as well.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:09 AM

The answer is yes if trekking in less habitated areas near Siam Reap or to the north of CM.It is a simple pill 4 days before departure, each day you are out of CM proper and 4-5 days after. Also, use 50%= DEET just for those areas. Other areas 30% DEET is wise.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:17 AM

If you aren't going over night, you're probably fine with careful use of repellant.

Stan's instructions aren't right for any anti-malarial. For malarone, you start taking the pills one or two days before entering the malarial risk area, and for one week after leaving the malarial risk area. For Doxycycline, you start taking the pills one or two days before entering the malarial risk area and for four weeks after leaving the malarial risk area. Those are the only two anti-malarials recommended for these areas.