Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Travelling South East Asia coming August/September - A lot of questions :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

my boyfriend and I just booked a flight to Bangkok on 20.8 this year and we will return 4 weeks later, 18.9, also from Bangkok. I've searched the internet for tips and suggestions and bought three guidebooks, but I have the feeling my questions can only be answered by someone who has travelled the region by himself during these months, so I'm trying it here

My plan was to do the following route: Bangkok - (flight to) Koh Samui - Phukhet and surroundings - (flight to) Rangoon - travelling to various places in Myanmar overland, ending in Mandalay - (flight to) Chiang Mai - travelling overland from Chiang Mai to Krong Siem Reap and finally to Phnom Penh - flight back to Bangkok. I want to do some beach time in Koh Samui, as I heard the rainy season is not that bad there. Could anybody tell me if this is a tight schedule for 4 weeks? Has anybody travelled a route like that during the months of August/September (which I read are the worst in terms of rain)? Is it feasible? How "bad" is the rainy season? I've read everything from "it only rains once a day for two hours, the rest of the time the sky is clear" to "don't travel SE Asia during the rainy season, it's impossible".

I really don't want to spend all my days getting soaked, also as we'll be backpacking most of the time and not stay in the best hotels. I wouldn't mind that two-hours-downpour, but I'd rather not experience non-stop rain during one week. We also like to do stuff outdoors, like cycling or hiking... can you do that during rainy season? I already thought about not doing the mentioned itinerary, but heading towards Malaysia and Indonesia, where I've read it rains less... What are your experiences and suggestions?

I'm glad for every bit of help Thanks a lot already now!

Laura
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:55 AM

You are choosing the wettest time of the year for most of these places. It will be the best weather in Indonesia during that time. Some areas will be rainier than others. August is not rainy season in Koh Samui, for instance, but it will start to get more rain later in Sept and in Oct. Take a look at www,weather base.com In some places, the rain will only be a few intense hours, in others it will pour much of the day.

What you propose is too rushed, IMO. I'd suggest you start by cutting Phuket - choose just one beach area, and Koh Samui will have better weather. Plan a minimum of 10 days in Myanmar. You may need more if you are traveling overland. You will want four nights each in Bagan and Inle and two nights in Yangon minimum. Whether to visit Mandalay or not is up to you, I don't recommend it for a first trip. Be aware that flights from Mandalay to Chiang Mai are only a couple of days a week and are seasonal. You can get to CM by connecting through Bangkok.

Get a copy of Dawn Rooneey's book, Angkor: A guide to Cambodia's Wondrous Temples to figure out how much time you want in Siem Reap. It takes three full days (four nights) just to see the major temples. if you are really interested in temples, you'll want more time.

Another option would be to focus on Indonesia: Java, Bali and maybe Lombok. You will have better weather. I have a trip report here on Java that you might fiend helpful. just click on my name and look under trip reports. Photos of this trip and many others are at www.marlandc.com
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie,

thank you so much for your detailed answer! As it is our first time in Asia, it's really hard to make a decision on where to go. I feel I want to see everything at once, while still having enough time at every place. That's impossible, I know I saw from your profile that you traveled a lot in Asia. What is your personal opinion? Should we try to do the original route (with cutting on Phuket) or do Indonesia and spare Myanmar, Central Thailand and Cambodia for some other time?

When thinking about going to Indonesia, my concern is that I read it's the high season and that prices go up a lot. Would we have to book everything in advance or are we safe just backpacking and looking for hostels on the day we arrive somewhere? Last year I traveled South Africa, and my friend and I booked everything in advance and this time I'd prefer to be a bit more flexible - stay at a place when we like it, move on if we don't.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 01:11 AM

I wouldn't let the rainy season put you off Myanmar. We were there in August for 3 weeks in 2013. It rains, but it is still very warm, so not such a big deal. The tropical downpours can be spectacular, and a reason to take shelter in some local joint. Meet the people, they are great.

The only rain we had was in Yangon and the delta region. Bagan and Mandalay were dry - actually I don't think it ever rains in Mandalay.

I can't speak to your other selected destinations at that time of year, it's not our usual time to holiday.

They are all very worthwhile though, and personally, I wouldn't let a little rain stop me from seeing what I wanted. If it's very heavy rain, there's always a bar or restaurant to fill the gap.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 01:20 AM

3 guidebooks?

They have most of the same stuff.

Ive travelled in July and Sept and weather was pretty good.

August i havent done.

Normally rains after 4pm though.

No need to stress. Most of SEA is good.

Where to go depends on interests.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 04:17 AM

@Prachuap<<<3 guidebooks? They have most of the same stuff.>>>

Have a look at the top of the thread, there's 4 countries tagged, so there's one country missing!
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 04:21 AM

Tropical downpours might slow travel down a bit, but if flooding occurred then you might have to refer to Plan B or Plan C.

Personally I wouldn't have too much pre-booked (I never do anyway), just in case you have to alter your itinerary at v.short notice.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 07:22 AM

Your first option (cutting Phuket) is still too busy, IMO. These are places to savor, not to rush through. If you made another cut, say, Chiang Mai, you could visit Myanmar and Cambodia. Traveling overland you need to give yourselves lots of time. If you are going to travel overland from Thailand to Cambodia, do read www.talesofasia.com to alert you to the many border scams.

Indonesia is also a good option. While prices do go up in Bali, prices are very reasonable in Java.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 01:29 PM

Kathie.
Scams = lack of preparation.
I've crossed overland at Poipet 3 times.
There is hassle, but not inf you've done your homework
In fact, Poipet offers quit a few photo opportunities for folk who aren't in a rush.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 04:05 PM

I think you could easily fill up a month among Bangkok, Ko Samui, Cambodia and Burma, especially if you're planning overland travel.

If you decide to substitute Bali (and possibly Java and/or Lombok) for one of these places, I wouldn't worry too much about the availability of low budget accommodations. You might make a few "anchor" reservations so you're covered on arrival at the various places on your itinerary, then play the rest by ear.

Back packer culture is alive and well Indonesia. The currency is quite weak right now, so it's an even better value. Even during the high season and even at the tourist beaches, you'll find homestays and inexpensive hotels/hostels. The good weather will be a positive.

I would note, however, that Bali's beaches are quite different from Thailand's so if you're visualizing white sand and calm turquoise waters you might be disappointed. You'll get closer to the Thai beach culture in Lombok, but it's nowhere near as scenic. On Bali, the continuum of Kuta to Seminyak is a long, sandy big wave surfer beach. It's fun and lively, but not the same as what you'd find in Thailand.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 10:57 PM

One resource you may find useful for the type of trip you are contemplating is www.travelfish.org . It covers all the countries you visit and is aimed more at back-packer type travel. Each country section has some pretty detailed information which is ideal for the planning stage of your trip. Burma is a new addition for them so the information is likely to be a little more current than some.

Totally agree with Marmots suggestion re not worrying about booking accommodation in advance but maybe making a few "anchor" reservations. If you are looking for mid to high end hotels it is often better and cheaper to book in advance but there will always be budget accommodation available available, even in high season. If you use www.booking.com you don't have to pay in advance and can usually cancel up to 24 hours beforehand without charge if your plans change. www.hostelworld.com is a good site to search out budget accommodation and the reviews are generally accurate,

Overall, the "rainy" season has a lot to commend it. It rarely rains all day, it is less dusty and the scenery, lush and green. Transport by road will only really be a problem in some places in Cambodia.

If you do want some beach time then Bali would be your best option followed by the Gulf Coast of Thailand or maybe East Coast. Malaysia.
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 03:56 AM

You can buy 1 book that covers all of SEA. Then use sites like tripadvisor, travelfish, virtualtourist, lonely planet or simply do a net search. Some of the guidebook info will be 3 yrs out of date. Some areas are poorly covered by books too.

I rarely book ahead more than a few nights.

I like booking.com too cause u can.pay later.