Reload this Page >

Traveler's Checks or Cash in Hong Kong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:08 PM
kimmie

So, what's the verdict? Should I bring more of the traveler's checks or cash to Hong Kong? If traveler's checks, does it have to be American Express? My bank only offers Visa Traveler's Checks. Will I have any trouble using Visa Traveler's Checks in Hong Kong?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:08 PM
Kathie

You won't have any problem with Visa travelers checks in Hong Kong. But the least expensive way to get HK$ there is through an ATM machine. If you have an ATM card with one of the international logos on it (typically cirrus or plus) and a 4 digit PIN, you can get cash from an ATM in Hong Kong. There are ATMs at the airport as well as all around the city.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:53 AM
kimmie

Thanks for the quick repsonse. What about credit card? Will I get the HK$7.80 on one US dollar with all my purchases with a credit card? Is $7.80 pretty much the same exchange rate throughout Hong Kong?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:01 PM
Les

Kimmie,<BR>Most banks against which the credit card is issued will add a 2% fee on top of the normal 1% conversion cost that VISA and Master Card charge. Some banks won't add this extra 2% (Capital One comes to mind). Check with your bank.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:19 PM
Bubsie

What about cash? You talk about credit cards and the ATM but what about taking cash? Bubsie

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:09 PM
Veronica

I suggest to withdraw cash from PLUS or CIRRUS ATM. You can find everywhere.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Ronald Lansdell

In addition to the above replies... be sure not to exchange money or travellers' checks at the HK airport. It appears to be a monoploy there, and you get "Cook-ed" with a very bad exchange rate. Take some funds, and do further exchanging downtown.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:25 PM
McH

Kimmie,<BR><BR>In China (major cities) as in the rest of the (more or less developed)world the answer is:<BR><BR>ATM, ATM, ATM all the way

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:45 PM
lee

been to HK many times. i stop in airport use atm and use HK cash