Travel with Luggage

Search

Travel with Luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel with Luggage

Hello. I'm not sure what sort of travelers we have on this board, but I have have always traveled by backpacking. Now, I am planning a honeymoon to Thailand, so no backpacking this time. We are going to have a couple of pieces of luggage each. We'll have two "bases" (Bangkok and Phuket) and stay two weeks. I'm concerned about taking the luggage on buses or trains between Bkk and Phk? How difficult would that be? How is security? Space? Any size/number limitations? Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Well there is no train service between Bangkok and Phuket. Buses don't care. Flight normally 20ks free but they tend not to worry on domestics up to 30kgs each, I doubt between you that you would have that much anyway.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:52 PM

as noted above--hope you are flying to phuket to save time....you won't miss anything on the ground...+/- $100. rt..thai airways ..don't worry about luggage---they will just be so glad to see tourists...thais are very ladi back...leave plenty of room for purchases on the trip in suitcases...
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:05 AM

One more vote for flying rather than bus or train. You're on your honeymoon! At www.thaiairways.com BKK-PHK is about $125 RT. If you have too much luggage (or purchases) to take on the trip to PHK, there are lockers at the airport which are conveniently located.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Better yet, as I recall some airlines offer a service to ship your extra luggage back to your home airport for a very reasonable price- much less than a ground shipper we found out. Therefore, since you probably won't need much in the way of clothes in Phuket, why not ship the extra suitcases home before you go to Phuket so you have less to lugg around.
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:02 AM

Fly into BKK with 2 pieces of luggage. Tour for a week. Leave one bag at the hotel and take the other on the plane to Phuket. Fly back to BKK and spend the night before your return flight home in the same hotel and pick up your second bag.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses! It seems flying is definately the way to go.
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:00 PM

well you can do like some of us backpackers do now a days we rent an apartment online for 2 weeks which will cost less 2 days at the oient.. leave most of our things behind and lug what need too... bangkok is one of the few cities where this is economicly feasable and the apartments are top notch..

maybe check what fares puket air is having...