Travel S.E Asia

Search

Travel S.E Asia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel S.E Asia

We backpacked Thailand,Vietnam and Cambodia Jan and Feb 2019 and would love to return after travel is safe again.
Any opinion on which language would best for travel in at least the 3 countries listed above.
Warren

Last edited by warrsher; Sep 13th, 2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found that English worked just fine.
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 04:55 PM

Not sure which language (other than English) would be most beneficial, but Vietnamese would be the easiest to learn for a native English speaker because it uses a Roman alphabet. Six tones.
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Six tones
And five in Thai. I once tried to learn Mandarin, which "only" has four, but I'm virtually tone deaf and it was hopeless. I learned some of the characters instead. That was before google translate, and when there was virtually no English off the tourist trail in China. A good phrase book was a necessity if you were on your own. SEA was much easier.
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 10:02 PM

Learning a local language is always great. You can get to learn more about the local culture and people even better.
In my time in south east asia I learned a few phrases in Vietnamese which helped me get my way around on some towns or cities just outside of Vietnam.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 04:54 AM

It is always a good idea to learn how to say hello, thank you and goodbye along with a few simple numbers for any country you visit..

A small translation dictionary appropriate for the country you are visiting can be helpful. Look up the word you need in English (or whatever language you use) and simply point to the translation. (No wifi connection needed with a little dictionary.)

When I was in Thailand there were some words that as a Westerner I could never pronounce correctly! For a first time tourist, Thailand is an easy country to visit. In areas popular with tourists many street signs also had English translations. Also many stores have signs in English, sometimes Russian and Chinese; also many local people you come in contact with have a decent understanding of English.

In Vietnam it is a little bit easier for reading printed words. I have been to many of the countries in Southeast Asia and can't remember any real problem getting what I need. Even if a storekeeper or street vendor needs help he or she will grab a nearby friend to help translate. For some barter situations vendors even used a calculator to show what particular price to pay.

Okeydokey.