Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

From Europe to Asia- does the plane fly over the war area on the way to Asia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Cathy

I looked at a route map of a number of airlines going from Europe to Singapore and saw they flew right over India, Afganastan and Pakastan. (sorry about my spelling!). Crazy!

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Kathie

There are no commercial flights over Afganistan. It's also easy for airline to modlfy their routes if need, to avoid India and Pakistan. The routes you see printed or on the internet are only approximate.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 12:48 AM
pat

Cathy,<BR>I think that the way they used to, but not any more. For example, THAI now flies over china, and russia in order to avoid the paticular area, but that means the flying time, and cost will be increased.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:30 AM
wayne

They dont fly over the war areas simply because of the Himalayas. Planes fly at 30000 ft. Mt Everest is 29000ft. Do you want the plane to crash into the mountains? If from London they fly over Saudi and the Indian ocean. They don't fly straight as the crow as printed in the inflight mags.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:39 AM
Randy

I was on Singapore Airlines from Europe and we flew right over India and Afganastan according to the map that constantly changes telling us where we were. I was scared to death. It was the talk of the plane!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:17 AM
mom

I was flying September 11th. There is never a safer time to fly than now. I was returning from england to america. I was grounded in Spephenville,, Newfoundland for several days. I can not say enough about the courtesy of the hotel staff, the excellent care we received, the amazing care of the crew, and the care Continental airlinnes took to be sure we returned safely to our final destination. I even received a large basket of fruit, sweets, candy, etc from gordon Bethune the CEO of OCnetinental upon my return. I feel very safe to fly on Conetinnental. I ahve already booked flights to Milan, Tokyo, Taipei, Maanchester, England and Singapore already this year on Conetinetal so far. Feel safe in flying. As an american...fly

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:25 AM
mom

I was flying September 11th. I sat on the tarmac for 10 hours after our emergency grounding and securityy beyond words. No complaints here, at least we were there. There is never a safer time to fly than now. I was returning from england to america, Manchester England to Newark to be exact. If Bush had not closed USA airspace I would of been on that plane that went into the ground near the DC. I was grounded in Stephenville,, Newfoundland for several days. I can not say enough about the courtesy of the hotel staff, the excellent care we received, the amazing care of the crew, and the care Continental airlines took to be sure we returned safely to our final destination. I even received a large basket of fruit, sweets, candy, etc from Gordon Bethune the CEO of Continental upon my return. I feel very safe to fly on Conetinental. I ahve already booked flights to Milan, Tokyo, Taipei, Manchester, England and Singapore this year on Continetal so far. Feel safe in flying. As an american...fly. I am a Platinum Member, fly over 75,000 miles a year, last year I flew 350,000. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. <BR>Life is measured in family, friends, memories and kindness. My son and I have always used the time together to visit new areas, make new friends and enjoy. He attends school in England. Quite a financial and emotional cost, but well wotrth it. His tuition about $30,000 a year (he is 16 years old) he attends Ampleforth College. They have a ppage on the internet, you can visit. Off the topic, anyway, don't worry, I put my most precious possession my son on the plane to return to school. As Wordsworth said: "And when the stream Which overflowed the soul was passed away, AA concsciousness remained that it had left, Deposited upon the silent shore Of memory, images and precious thoughts That shall not die, and cannot be destroyed