Travel advice - help me choose!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2023, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning to go to India this October, Oct 9-22. Its my second time to India, and I am trying to see things that I didn't the first time. They are 1) Hampi, 2)Goa, 3) a Tiger Safari, and 4)Amritsar and the border ceremony.

Based on time and other committments, I may have to choose 3 out of the 4.

For the tiger safari, I have settled on Ranthambore. My initial dream was for Kanha, but its just too hard to get to. With Ranthambore, I can fly into Jaipur and take a 2 hour train ride and be at the park. I made this choice reluctantly, since I had been to Jaipur the first time and didn't think it was very interesting. I have been to safaris in South Africa before.

As of now, I am leaning on Ranthambore, Hampi, and Goa. But a week ago, it was Amritsar, Hampi, and Goa.

I see a lot of debate on whether Indian tiger safari's are "worth it." With Kanha, I was willing to go despite the low odds of seeing a tiger because the jungle is supposedly quite beautiful, where as Ranthmbore is just brush. I see some non-enthusiastic commens on Amritsar, but man, I want to see that temple, as well as the Pakistan border show. I also wanted to buy a nice chess set, as well as sample good Punjab food.

Help!

Old Jul 24th, 2023, 08:52 PM

October is not the right time to see tigers in the wild. After the monsoons, the brushwood is too dense. The best time for a tiger safari is Feb to April/May, when the grasslands have died down, the visibility is much better. The grasslands in Kanha will hide even a large animal like a Barasingha, with only the tip of the antlers noticeable above. Your best bet in October could be the Tadoba Andhari park, some 2 hours south of Nagpur by road. Just check if the core zones are open in October.
Amritsar has a typical virile Punjabi ambiance...everything in large portions, be it platter of food (Makki di roti & sarson da saag) at Bhrawan da dhaba, sizzling hot fish at Makhan's, Amritsari Kulchas in Ranjit Avenue, mutton chops at Adarsh. Some of these shops are old & decrepit but the long queues are a giveaway!
Another rarely visited monument is the Pul-Kanjari (courtesan's Bridge) on the northern periphery of Amritsar, the old road to Lahore. The canal itself was built by the mughal king to carry waters to Shalimar gardens.
The Palkhi sahib ceremony held late evening at the Golden Temple should not be missed.
Happy travels!
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!

Why is Tadoba better in October? It doesn't have the same problem as Ranthambore?

I see that you are replying from India. I have another unrelated question.

I am going in October because I want to see the India Pakistan Cricket match on Oct 15. Is Paytm Insider the only way to buy tickets? It doesn't like my American credit card.

Thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 09:39 PM

The sightings are generally better in Tadoba, on the whole. There is something called TSI (Tiger sighting Index) which is higher there.
Some zones are densely forested where sighting will be lower but others will be of lesser foliage where the sightings are better. The tiger operates alone and sticks to his area. Trespassers are taught a lesson by the dominant male!
Happy hunting!
Old Aug 4th, 2023, 05:17 AM

Hey. I haven't been to India. Beautiful place. I've got a friend from India. He showed me some pictures, loved them. I've got one suggestion. Goa is a nice place to visit. But I don't think October is the right time to visit Goa. Like, you can do all kinds of water activities, if you are interested. But my friend told me the new year time is the best. It will be so crowded, but worth it. I vote Hampi too.
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 12:32 AM

Add Northeast India Travel Destinations

If you are trying to see things that you didn't the first time, apart from the places mentioned above, you can add the places of Northeast India such as Living Root Bridges in Meghalaya, Kaziranga National Park in Assam ( to see Rhinoceros), Anini in Arunachal Pradesh, Dzukou Valley in Nagaland and Phe Phe Waterfall in Meghalaya.

Often, travellers skip this part of India. Northeast India is one of the most diverse of all. October is the best time to visit these locations.