Search

transport from Vientiane to Vang Vieng

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 06:26 PM
kja
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transport from Vientiane to Vang Vieng

I believe my public transportation options from Vientiane to Vang Vieng are a minivan by Malany or a minivan or bus (depending on demand) by Soutchai. Any recommendations or information about one or the other? If it makes a difference, I expect to land at Vientiane's airport at about 11:00 (obviously, TBD). I think either company has an option departing at 14:00, but from different departure locations in the city, not at the airport, and with what I hope is enough time (please tell me if I am wrong!), but little time to waste in getting to the bus stop, I'm hoping to figure out in advance which company to use so that I can buy a ticket in advance.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 08:38 PM
kja
Original Poster

Looks like I also have an option through Thavisouk bus, so please add that into the mix!
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:14 PM

I think you would be better off asking this question on Tripadvisor where the Lao forum is a lot more active and has some members who live in Vientiane. FWIW Vientiane is not a big city and three hours will be plenty of time to get anywhere in the city..
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 09:38 AM
kja
Original Poster

@ crellston: Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 09:57 PM

I can't answer your question, but I do have two thoughts:

1. When I first visited SEA in 2012, I researched logistics in Thailand, and I found that minivans had a reputation for fatal accidents. I'm not sure if that is true eight years later in Laos, but please research minivan safety before you commit. I recall it was because the drivers speed recklessly. We all want you to return safely.

2. I know you enjoy buses and trains, but this may be the time to indulge in a driver. If your flight is delayed, then the driver will wait for you. That's what I would do.

How's the rest of your planning going?
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 10:25 PM
kja
Original Poster

@ CaliforniaLady: Thank you so much for your kind words and good wishes!

From what I've been able to tell so far, the minivans and buses from Vientiane to Vang Vieng are generally of good repute, but I will pay particular attention to what else I can learn, now that you have brought the issue to the fore. You are correct -- I do generally prefer public transportation (what a memory you have!), and I have considered a private transfer if for no other reason than because I'll be exhausted -- I'll have been traveling for more than 32 hours by the time I reach Vientiane. I haven't ruled a private driver out, but the prices I've been quoted are on the order of $140 USD or more, compared to $10 or less for the minivan or bus. The difference clearly isn't much if a risk of death or serious injury is added into the equation, but if safety isn't a major concern, I can think of a lot of other ways to use that money.

As for the rest of my planning, I have been flummoxed by a series of unexpected work and life demands that have nothing to do with travel and that are eating up huge amounts of my time. Growl! (How dare the source of my travel income make it difficult for me to spend that travel income?!? ) Ah, well -- I have a likely itinerary; I've booked all my flights except two short domestic flights for my time in Laos; I've reserved at least a decent and cancellable room option for every night (though I might want to tweak a few reservations if time permits more thorough research); and I have at least a rough idea of what I want to do in each place I plan to visit. Not my preferred level of planning, but I've traveled with less preparation and have enjoyed myself even so.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and your concern, CaliforniaLady -- it's wonderful to realize that participating in a travel forum can turn complete strangers into people who prove their friendship.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:32 PM

Wow, $140 for a three hour car ride is SEA? Something is amiss here. I know you are super resourceful, but did you inquire for a driver at your Vientiane hotel, or the one in Vang Vieng? Also, I have been known to contact a bunch of fancy hotels, pretend I am staying there, and ask them for a driver referral.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to let the itinerary sit for awhile, and come back to it. It's like a fine wine, you can let it sit and age a bit, and it will be enhanced.

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:46 PM
kja
Original Poster

@ CaliforniaLady: I checked with two hotels in Vang Vieng, and $140 was the lower estimate. I, too, was stunned -- the price seemed quite disproportionate in light of quotes I was getting for other trips. (I guess they heard about Fodor's article on resorts in the area, lol.) I plan to contact some other hotels in Vang Vieng, as well as the hotel in which I will eventually stay in Vientiane and maybe a few others there, too. As mentioned, my planning has been disrupted -- but the trip's still a couple of months away, so I have some time to figure it all out. (I hope!)

P.S. I like the wine analogy.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 09:17 PM
kja
Original Poster

I just got a very helpful answer on travelfish, complete with photos of the departure board at the North Bus Station in Vientiane. Many thanks to those of you who recommended that resource! It's nice to have some clearer information and options to research.