Transit Hotel baggage question?

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transit Hotel baggage question?

We will be flying into Terminal 2 on Singapore Airlines (into SIN from LAX). We are staying in the transit hotel in Terminal 1 for a few hours before our Jet Star Asia flight about 5 hours later.

We were told by the transit hotel that we will not collect our checked luggage until we check out. I am confused?

I read that I can only take a roll bag up to 7kg or 15 lbs. carryon on SIN airlines. First, is that true? Second, what would you do in our situation? Get baggage from Term 2, transfer to Term 1, check in bags at Jet Star, then check in to transit hotel in term 1?

Help?
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:30 PM

When you use the transit hotel, you do not go through immigration or customs, so you do not pick up your luggage from your flight. Your luggage should be checked through to your final destination (wherever you are flying to on Jet Star Asia). You should have enough in your carry-on for your time in the transit hotel.

While I suppose that technically, you could go all the way through immigration and customs, claim your luggage, then check it back in through security, immigration etc, that's not how the transit hotel is meant to work. And your room at the transit hotel will only be heald for a certain amount of time after your plane lands.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM

You can't check through from Singapore Airlines to Jet Star Asia flights, so your baggage will indeed be sent to the belt on your arrival in Singapore.

If it were me, I'd go through immigration, get my bags, then try to check in for the Jet Star Asia flight. Since Jet Star is based in Singapore, I think you may be able to check in at any time (at other destinations it wouldn't be possible).

It may in fact be safer to look for a transit deal outside the airport, but I don't know if there are any hotels that offer them.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

MichaelBKK- you are right about the luggage issue from Singapore airlines to Jet Star. We fly into SIN at 2:30am and fly out on Jet Star at 7:00am. We are really only using the transit to rest/crash...espcially since we will have a 6 and 4 year old with us.

I was wanting to do the Transit so we could just check the bags, go through security...so all we have to do is go to the gate 50 minutes before.

Thoughts? Is this crazy?
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM

I would check with Jet Star about how early you can check in for your flight (and what times they are open). That way, you'd know if it was reasonable to stay in the transit hotel or not.

I agree that's your best option, but I definitely wouldn't leave my bags siting in baggage claim for four or five hours. If I couldn't check them back in right away, I'd look for options outside the airport.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM

I wonder if this lounge might be suitable for you? http://www.sats.com.sg/newlook1/Rainforest/start.html
It is located after immigration in Terminal 1, so you would need to be able to check in for your Jetstar flight before using it.

I do see a potential problem, in that Jetstar's webpage says its check in counters open 2 hours before departure time and closes 40 minutes before departure.

I wouldn't leave my baggage unclaimed. You cannot check bags through from Sinapore Air to Jetstar...you'll need to pick them up in Singapore and recheck them with Jetstar when you check in.

Worst case is that you have 2 hours before you can check in. There are some other lounges that you might be able to use on the check in side...not sure.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:56 AM

As everyone has said, you can't check baggage thru and you need to go thru immigration and collect your baggae then go to terminal 1 for Jetstar Asia, your problem could be checking in, they say 2 hours before but whether they will be open before 4 or 5 I don't know. So you won't be able to access the transit areas until you have checked in, that I think is going to be the problem.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:05 AM

The only thing about not leaving transit until later ( and during that time use the transit hotel ) is your baggage riding around the belt on it's own may be taken to some holding area as unclaimed.
At that time of morning thing's won't be busy, I would make sure you have your baggage tags 'in hand' and go to the info desk ( note - not the transfer places but the Information desk ) and some kind person should be able to call down to the baggage hall, tell them your tag numbers and let them know your baggage isn't unclaimed but that you are just having a nap in the transit hotel and will be going 'down' at about 5 am. If the person is kind I am sure they can do this, I am sure you would not be the first to do this, and probably the kind person will let them know, thank you for advising them and then perhaps tell you when you go down about 5 am where your bags will be.
A call to SQ in LAX is worth it, someone there may be able to set you right, it's just that as baggage belts empty some remaining bags riding around, well, you get the picture.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM

After I responded to your message, it struck me that the problem might be that you can't check luggage through on Jet Star Asia. Now others have confirmed that is the problem. (For me, this is one more reason not to use the budget airlines.)
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

the helpfulness of Fodor's strikes again!

I never even thiught about the issue of Jet Star not opening up until later. Good thing I have all of you guru's to lead me in the right direction.

So...I think my best bet is to go figure out a lounge to crash in for 3 hours rather then going to a local hotel etc.

Any ideas where to crash while we wait for Jet Star counter to open up so we can check our bags? I am going to have to book extra massages to make up for this grueling flight with a four year old!! YIKES!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Called Jetstar and it opens 3 hours before the flight...so I can check our bags at 4:00am.

So we transfer from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 (2:30-3:15)

Hang out in airport lobby area from 3:15-4:00

Check in bags at 4:00

Anyone know of a place to crash from 4:15-6:10?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Kim-

That lounge you suggested souds GREAT! If we can't find a lounge outside in the lobby area, we will just use the Rainforest place to rejuvinate, rest a little and then go.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Good, that's easy now, so you can go straight to Terminal 1 check in for 3 am and then go thru to departures/tranit area, Rainforest or the transit rooms there, fine, there is free internet, shops etc, the cinema though is back at Terminal 2, but you will find enough to keep you busy and the time will fly.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all who helped turn this big issue into "no big deal". That would have been a nightmare had that not be dicovered before we landed! Thanks again to all...Repayment can come with a trip report.

We leave in 2 days!! HOORAY!!