train from dehli to agra

Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

train from dehli to agra

hello, i will be landing in delhi late on july 30. what train station would i go to that is closest to the airport in order to get to agra?
cheers,
sunshine17
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:16 PM

I've found rome2rio.com a very good site to find various transport options just about anywhere. It says New Delhi station is where you get trains to Agra.

As an aside, it's my understanding that trains are routed in different directions from different stations, so the question isn't which station is closest, but which station must I go to for that destination.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:28 PM

We took the train from Delhi to Agra, and I got the tickets online via the IRCTC website. I would have posted the link here, but new registration appears to be down.

In any case, I believe it's only the one train station, and I don't remember which one, but I would take MmePerdu's word on figuring out the correct train station, since she has "street cred" here, lol.

Although you didn't ask, two pieces of advise. The trains sometime have for delays, so if you are on a tight schedule, hire a driver instead. Also, if you decide to take the train, spring for first class. The employees throw all kinds of food and drinks at the passengers, and they wear cute traditional costumes. I thought it was fun to watch, although it was too early in the morning to eat anything.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:29 PM

I meant to say "fog delays"
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:08 PM

This is a good site for general info on trains in India: https://seat61.com/India.htm

I haven't used the IRCTC site recently as last time I went to India it didn't take my credit cards. I find cleartrip.com an adequate substitute.

There are multiple train stations in both Delhi and Agra. I believe you want New Delhi and Agra Cantt.

If you are landing late your first need is probably a hotel rather than a train as the journey is too short for a sleeper.
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 10:38 PM

I am hoping Cleartrip has sorted out the issue I had with their site last year. Yes, you cannot use an overseas credit car on the IRTC website although I did meet some Russians who had booked through the site and they received their tickets in the mail!
The train leaves from New Delhi station. Be sure to check which platform it leaves from - there are some 14 platforms reached by stairs and an overhead galley way. No lift.