Train Cncellations in Japan

Oct 10th, 2019, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Train Cncellations in Japan

We are in Japan. On this Saturday we are going from Kurashiki to Hiroshima by train. The typhoon Hagibis looks like it could impact train lines north and east of where we’re going. Rain is expected in Kurashiki on Saturday the day we take the train. Our train goes from Kurashiki to Okayama to Hiroshima. How do we check on any train cancellations should there be a shift in the typhoon? Thanks
Oct 10th, 2019, 04:11 PM

Also google maps would probably show train cancellations but not sure how far in advance....I know that they show cancellations/delays on the day of..as I have seen that myself while in Tokyo....
Oct 10th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Mara, thanks for the helpful info. Hopefully I stay out of the typhoons path.
Oct 10th, 2019, 10:30 PM

We were once told the train had been cancelled when we got to the station the day after a typhoon. We thought we were out of luck, but an guy behind the ticket seller told us that we could take a bus instead. Turned out the storm had washed away some tracks, but the roads were still fine. So, ask for options!
Oct 10th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Lcuy, thank you. We checked at the train station as we were getting alerts of cancellations. As it turned out our train to Hiroshima was indeed cancelled. Fortunately we were put on another train of our choosing. I think it worked out ok. We’llkniw tomorrow.

JNTO has been making an effort to provide better info for all the tourists in Japan. We used their site, NHK and the appropriate JR site. I think the info we got was good.

Thanks all for your timely info.
Oct 13th, 2019, 12:03 AM
kja

I hope you've managed OK! The storm sounds awful -- my best to everyone in Japan, whether resident or visitor.
Oct 13th, 2019, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja View Post
I hope you've managed OK! The storm sounds awful -- my best to everyone in Japan, whether resident or visitor.
We’re fine, thanks for checking. We made it to Hiroshima and the worse we had were very gusty winds. I feel for those who live in the areas hit hard. Sounds pretty bad in some places.
Oct 13th, 2019, 07:05 AM

Following along. Watching NHK here, the scenes of the flooding and devastation look terrible.
Oct 13th, 2019, 09:38 AM
kja

Originally Posted by yestravel View Post

We’re fine.... We made it to Hiroshima
I'm glad to hear that!

Oct 13th, 2019, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FromDC View Post
Following along. Watching NHK here, the scenes of the flooding and devastation look terrible.
yes, it has been terrible for the areas hit. As of Sunday night there were 25 deaths. Haven’t checked this morning, Monday. Plus there was 5.7 earthquake. Transportation is getting back to normal in most, but not all areas and power is slowly being restored. You are no doubt seeing exactly what we see here. We are very fortunate that we are not near where they typhoon struck.

kja, thanks!

Last edited by yestravel; Oct 13th, 2019 at 02:23 PM.