Tours in Bangkok and Phuket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for all the help with the hotel and the flight information.

I have another question.

Should I book tours at all?? If I should with who? and to where? I have done my research on the internet and I am confused as what to do.
Thanks to everyone,
Eric
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM

IF you decide to do tours (and generally, I don't recommend them) book once you are there. You'll save lots of money and you'll have a better idea of what you are buying.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Book when you get there.

You never know how you will feel, what the weather is like.

Wait until you arrive, browse the brochures at your hotel, grab an armful of tour brochures from the lobby and have a good sit down and browse, certainly look thru ideas before you get there but as all hotel travel desks, street travel counters/tour shops can do it and most open very late it's easy.
I forget which time of year you are going but unless it is like between say 22 Dec and 4th Jan no reason at all to book ahead, also not especialy for Phuket that there are a lot of tours you might not have found from either us or searching.
If you want some Phuket Tour ideas I can suggest and point you to some websites but again, just book when you get there.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

I am going to be in Bangkok from Dec 27-January 4th and Phuket from the 4th to the 11th. So should I book ahead? Yes, advice on Phuket stuff would be great.
You are so helpful.
Thanks Again,
Eric
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 08:23 PM

unless you intend to use a driver like ratt, i would just wait and do my own touring upon arrival in bkk...it is very easy to get around...a good guide book is all you need...
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Most tour agents/desks feed into central operators so prices tend to be the same, although those dates I gave were busy I think perhaps still wait, as Bob says unless you are making specifi arrangements.

www.phuketjettour.com is a fast loading easy to navigate site, their prices are same as others but gives to an idea of Phuket tours available, many in Phuket post the prices clearly outside so it's quite easy, but you never know if you will feel tires or whatever so I would perhaps still say book as you go along.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Once again, Thanks for all the help!!!
I will just wait until I get there. I do have an idea of what I want to see and do.

Thanks,
Eric
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 05:34 PM

While I agree that you don't need a tour to see most of Bangkok (although you may be hassled a lot visiting the Grand Palace without a guide), you may want to consider booking something in Phuket in advance. I'm thinking mainly of a tour of Pang Nga, which I consider a must-see if it's your first time. Since you're visiting at a peak period, there's always a chance that the tours will be sold out when you get there, and it is extremely difficult (though not impossible) to just rent a boat and see the bay on your own.

Here's a link to a Viator affiliate. Viator is a sort of general sales agent for tours. I've never had any problems with the operators they use:

http://www.affiliate.viator.com/broc...&AUID=1369
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:59 PM

i have visited most of the major sites in bkk some many times like the grand palace....i have never been bothered by anyone for not having a guide....touts speak to you near to these places but you soon learn to ignor them and just keep walking...
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:11 PM

Few places need a guide if you do your own reading. I do think a driver can be helpful. Whatever you decide don't book from here and DO NOT take a group tour. If you feel you need a guide hire a private one.Also some places have guides when you get there -- Jim Thompson House, Vimamanek Mansion, Prasart-- and they are free (or part of the admission price).
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:54 PM

I just did the Phang Nga Bay tour last week with Phuket Siam Seacanoe company. I would highly recommend this company. They had the largest boat out there and an excellent staff. We went to 3 or 4 different islands (including James Bond Island). Lunch, snacks, and all you can drink soda & water included for 3,500 B for the 2 of us(prices are flexible). They picked us up at the Chedi about 8:30 in the morning and we returned about 5:00 that evening. I didn't book it until 10:00 the night before.

At each island you get into a kayak with your guide and one other person and they take you through caves and then into lagoons inside the islands. Some of the cave openings are so low at high tide that you literally have to lay down inside the kayaks to get through. One of the caves was full of bats and they provide a flashlight so you can see.

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM

deptrai...how big was the boat? how many people on board? weare going to be in phuket next month and are hoping to do a tour to kayak and outer island areas..
tell us more about your phuket trip and day trips
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Just home from our Kota Kinabalu, Phuket, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur trip last night.

The boat was about 90 feet long and 2 levels. The toilets, kitchen, shower and kayaks are all on the lower level. You spend 95% of your boat time on the upper deck which has many (~50) plastic chairs, a large table where the food is laid out, and the bar where you get your drinks. You are never in your chair for more than 1 hour 15 minutes (usually much less)as the boat travels from island to island. Our trip had about 35 guests and at least half as many staff. It never felt too crowded.

At the last island, you can either get out and swim or take a kayak out yourself without the guide.

The service was amazing. These guys really work hard to make your trip enjoyable. They put out a tip box at the end of the day, but never specifically asked or suggested you leave one. The same company offers a Phi Phi Island trip, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

The rest of our time in Phuket was spent lounging around the hotel and having dinner on Surin beach. We did go into Patong Beach a few nights, but it gets kinda old fast. It reminds me a little of Cabo San Lucas. We rented a scooter for a few days (250 B/day) and drove it to Phuket city once.

The only other semi-organized tour was Sapi island snorkeling off Kota Kinabalu.