Tour operator in Tibet/Nepal

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour operator in Tibet/Nepal

I'm looking for a tour operator to travel the Friendship Highway from Kathmandu to Lhasa. Has anyone had experience with Windhhorse Tours out of Minneapolis, with offices in various Asian locations? Or, do you have other recommendations? And what about Road Scholars for their trip to Bhutan? I'm interested in hearing pros and cons.
susanjd is offline  
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 33,288
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Bhutan, you are required to have a Bhutan agency make arrangemnts for you. So any agency based elsewhere would still be making arrangements through a Bhutan agency and just charging you a premium.
Kathie is offline  
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,268
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always try to go with international providers of repute.

good cost effective options.

for me local operators best checked out locally

many online scammers always pay with CC never wire money

qwovadis is offline  
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 33,288
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a trip like this, I think you are best off with a local company operating out of Kathmandu. The big international tour companies often subcontract to a local company and just add a premium price to that.

I'd suggest you post your question over on Thorntree, the Lonely Planet forum.
Kathie is offline  
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
totally agree with Kathie
himalayan_sherpa is offline  
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel from Nepal to Tibet is pretty regulated. Foreign tourists are required to travel in groups with a guide. Independent travel is highly discouraged. Groups must apply for a Tibet Travel Permit and Visa Approval Documents from the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China. Application for visa and permits must be made through a recognized travel agent.

It would be better to organise this IN Kathmandu. It only takes a few days to organise and it will save you money.

Tourists are required to book a package holiday to Bhutan through an International or Bhutanese local tour operator. International operators will simply book through a local operator so it is more cost efective to book directly.

Many Bhutanese operators have offices in Kathmandu . Tour operators are required to charge foreigners a minimum of $US200 a day for services under the conditions set by the Royal Government of Bhutan. This cost includes internal transport, meals, accommodation and guides.

Not sure if this helps at all.
amandaKC is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Nov 14th, 2017 10:37 AM
Apr 18th, 2017 06:05 PM
Africa & the Middle East
Aug 11th, 2016 04:36 AM
Oct 23rd, 2007 04:59 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -