Tour of Great Wall

Sep 24th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Selene

Tour of Great Wall

I will be going to Beijing in October 2002. Would appreciate feedback/recommendation from anyone who has joined a one day tour to the Great Wall of China as I intent to go on one.

Sep 24th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Marilyn

I did this a few years ago. It was run through our hotel and don't know that it was "the best". It was just ok in my opinion. We stopped at the Ming Tombs on the way there and at a cloisonne factory on the way back. I would rather have seen more of the wall and learned more about it. But since we were only in Beijing for a few days, it seemed like the best way to go.

Sep 25th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Les

Do a search on this forum. There have been some excellent threads with specific information on seeing the Great Wall.

Sep 25th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Paige

We did a day tour to Mutianyu. We booked it through our hotel but it was run by CITS. There were 7 of us in a minivan and a guide. We stopped at a cloisonee factory on the way which was actually pretty interesting and besides, I think all tours stop somewhere like that! There were only a few tourists there but lots of postcard and drink sellers. At the wall we all went off on our own and met back a few hours later. It was pretty cool!

Sep 29th, 2002, 02:48 PM
rita snyder

What experiences has anyone had w/restrooms along these tours - like, are they available, condition. We are seniors and that is a concern.

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:29 PM
LEANNA

AH HA!!! At last I get to give my opinion and expertise!!! OK....after one disasterous experience of assuming the position and then being unable to function and I can hereby say....it is possible to go thru China and use ONLY western toilets!!! I began to call my month long tour....In Pursuit of the Harmonius Porcelein Throne!!! Drink less coffee/tea in the morning, and have your guide help you find your quest. There are often handicap facilites and this will be the ONLY sit down place..but it will do!!! You'll know by the line of women INCLUDING chinese women!!!! Good luck!!!

Sep 30th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Charlie

We (2 people) hired a private car, through our hotel, to visit the wall at Mutianyu and stopped/toured the Summer Palace on the return to Beijing.We enjoyed this much better because we could stay as long as we pleased taking a long hike on the wall.We did not want to"go shopping"and were able to tell the driver only what we wanted to see/do.Our day lasted about 12 hours and cost about $75US for 2,about what a bus tour would cost with a hoard of passengers.

Sep 30th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Selene

Hi Charlie

Would you recommend the driver you used? Do you have his contacts?

Sep 30th, 2002, 05:24 PM
rita snyder

Was the driver knowledgeable and able to speak of all sights - and did he speak English? Or were you just own your own w/the driver just driving?

Sep 30th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Maureen Murphy

highlight of our trip there last week.

Buy the t-shirt...I CLIMBED THE WALL...it's my best souvenir.

have fun....but keep in mind you will hurt for a week....got to the top!!!

Oct 1st, 2002, 02:24 AM
Charlie

Sorry I don't have a contact for our driver.She worked for C.I.T.S. the Chinese travel service who had a representive in our hotel lobby, she spoke perfect English and was very knowledgeable about anything we asked about.It was my impression that we paid the going rate but as with most things in China you need to bargin most of the time.Your hotel concierge or doorman should be able to lead you in the right direction......if possible converse with your driver/guide before you book to verify his/her english abilities.