Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Tour in BKK - walking tour or car and driver?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have two days booked with Tong where we will be seeing the sites outside of BKK. Just decided to add a day with one of her associates to do the typical BKK sites. She asked whether we would like to do with car and driver or a walking tour using public transportation. I am inclined to go with the walking tour as we will be back in BKK at the end of our trip for two days on our own and I think it would be advantageous to use the skytrain, etc. with our guide, but thought I would ask for the experts advice before I made my final decision.

Any opinions? Thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 09:38 AM

You can really do the Bangkok sites on your own. The skytrain couldn't be easier. Or have Tong take you to a few places in Bangkok on the same day that you go out of Bangkok.
We went way out to the benjarong factory and then when coming back into Bangkok I had her swing by the reclining Buddha since in all of these years I'd never seen it. It doesn't have to be all or nothing planning. Plus, who knows, you might end up not wanting to be out of Bangkok the whole day after you get to your out-of-town place. I shifted gears in the middle of the excursion. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM

while i would agree with you about learning how to get around bkk from the guide, i disagree about doing the walking tour....one of the benefits of having the guide is to have the a/c car in between stops...this allows you to cool down a bit, have some cold water, etc....

remember the heat and humidity are overwhelming in bkk and having the car will allow you to avoid this a bit and also allow you to accomplish much more...

besides that not many of the real tourist sites are near public transportation....exception is jim thompson house and grand palace and wat arun using unairconditioned boats...
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM

If you opt to use a guide in town, I'd recommend a walking tour. Bangkok public transport is easy, and you can use taxis as needed. Doing a walking tour with a guide will healp you be more independent when you are back in Bangkok.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM

I agree with Bob- using a driver (you don't need a guide per se) you save so much energy and get refreshed in the car with a/c , cold towlels and ice cold bottled water that you can cover much more ground and have the energy to do so.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:51 AM

Hottest, noisiest city I ever visited. Fascinating, busy, different. Felt my shoes filling with sweat. Had to shout to be heard over the traffic. Avoid riding on motorbikes. Watch out for kamikaze motorcyclists. Drink all the water you can. Stay out of the sun. Take it easy on the spicy food.