Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Too many restuarants not enough time....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so i have already gotten so much good advice off people here and now have too many choices re evenings out..
I have 3 evenings in BKK 2 at the beginning 1 at the end.
My 2nd evening is at Sala rim naam (i know touristy but i am a tourist)

SO i fancy Bed (bf isnt so keen), the thai restuarant at Face Bar (after reading carols review) Supatra river house, Baan Kathani(sp?) primarily i want Thai as i eat LOTS of european at home (been as i live in the UK) and i LOVE thai food. Would like somewhere magical and very Thai for our last evening (which will be a saturday...)

Any suggestions or fors and against (also can you let me know if you think i should book ahead)

Thanks everyone for the great advice already received and hopefully some help on this.
Jane
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:41 AM

I was completely underwhelmed by Baan Kathani.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:21 AM

for your last nite i would suggest the thai restaurant at the peninsula hotel...set meals for 2...delicious...varried offerings...they also have a la carte..great setting...res necessary...

Thalaythip is the restaurant name....

for a less fancy place tongue thai near the oriental and OP Place

or gallery cafe near the sheraton orchid....

or thanying in back of the holiday inn silom...

le delat indochine on soi 23, sukhumvit would also make a very nice last nite's dinner...vietamese...
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:36 AM
CFW

Considering you have so few nights, I think Gallery Cafe is pretty ordinary and I agree with Gloria that the food at Baan Kanitha is mediocre though the setting is lovely. I'm anxious to try Face and the Thai restaurant at the Peninsula, which everyone says are great. Anyone have any opinions on Supatra River House? I've hear or read mixed reviews.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Bob we will be staying at the pen for our last night so maybe your suggestion would be perfect!!! although been as we do have so little time in BK want to get out and about!!! Oh i don't know what to do(also want to REALLY impress my BF with BK he has never been and i want this to be the first trip of many as i LOVE SE Asia and loved BK last time)

OK anyone been to Face and Bed which one for setting, feeling like you are in Bk etc etc
Any advances on supatra river house? am also now liking the idea of delat indochine ARGHHH to many wonderful places. Maybe i should cancel Krabi and spend it all in BKK!!!

As ever really appreciate all your great advice.
Jane
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:26 AM

If you want "magical" for your last night I would make sure that the restaurant is on the river. The restaurant at ROS or the Pen or the buffet or Lord Jim at Oriental.

Nothing equals the magic of the river at night. You'll remember it long after you've forgotten the food.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Oh and if you do that (stick to the river) you begin your evening at the State Bar and end it listening to jazz at the Bamboo Bar.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Similar "dilemma": I've currently got a reservation for Bed (for our one and only (Friday) night in Bangkok), but still torn between that and the Thai restaurant at the Peninsula, where we are staying. I'm a little worried the food at Bed might be a bit too, um, "exotic", for my tastes. Planning to do Sky Bar afterwards, either way.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Gloria great idea although may do Bar in State tower first night go for dinner (maybe face) and finish the night at the bamboo bar.... sounds like a very civilised way to start our holiday....

See i hadn't even thought of Lord Jim and we both LOVE duck....ok so now i need to check this out...

Anyone been to the Bar at the top of the Bayoike towers(sp?)
X
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Lord Jim is seafood. The great Peking Duck is in China House in the Oriental. It's actually my favorite restaurant in bangkok but it does not have river views.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM

glorialf, the lounge bar at the sha la with jazz, is also fantastic, with the river view. i haven't been to alot of places, but the sha la and bamboo bar are my top two number one(make sense?)

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM

When it comes to late night activity I'm lazy -- I like the fact that the Banboo Bar is in my hotel so I don't need to think about purses, money, cabs etc. And if one of us gets tired earlier it's easy for the other person to stay.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:07 PM

If you want to feel like you are in Bangkok, go to Face. If you want an experience that, to me, is unknown anywhere else, go to Bed Supper Club.

(I'm back home, safe and sound now btw)

Carol
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:16 PM

welcome home, carol. always nice to come home, but bet you miss bangkok already. thanks for all the good tips.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:17 PM

btw, did you guys have the garlic shrimp at brunswick?
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:39 PM

Hi Jane, having similar problems as you, although we are in a BBK 2 nights longer. I still have 2 nights to decide upon - feel like I need another week to try all the places that I want to. I have booked so far - Bed, Mango Tree (near to hotel for 1st night and can have a look around Patpong) and Mahanaga. So where for the last 2 - Face and then either LE DALAT INDOCHINE
or somewhere near the river for our last night. We are staying at the shrangla so guess it would be nice to spend the night by river dining?

When do you go?

We are off tomorrow, leaving LHR at 9.30pm and can't wait now.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Patesy we go mid Nov and have been organising this to death (maybe to much research is going on cause my head is spining)
Will you do a trip report when you get back? and let us know how you got on with the restuarants etc.
You are flying same time as us, we are flying Eva PL. If you happen to be flying with them will you let me know how you get on?

Have a BRILLIANT time.

Thanks every one for your suggestions, nice to hear your back safe and sound Carol. As i said really enjoyed your reports. (enjoy your meet in Boston sounds like great fun)
Jane
x
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 03:54 AM

Jane like you I been constantly researching since booking - I shall miss the researching when we get back.

We are flying with Thai airways. I have decided not to book the last 2 nights and see how we feel on the day - of course I will have all the notes and phone numbers on each and hey hubby may be able to pick where we go, lol. Just so we aren't totally following a plan.

Where else are you visiting? We are going to Laos and Koh Sumui (for a chill).

I will be happy to let you know how we get on.

Patseyx
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:37 AM

kuranosuke
No, I did not try the garlic shrimp at the Brunswick. Next time...

Carol
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Patsey-- I always find the research almost as much fun as the trip itself so I find I'm always doing it, Returning to this forum even if a trip isn't iminent helps a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -