Tokyo to Kyoto to Miyazaki

Apr 26th, 2002, 06:58 AM
japanboy

Tokyo to Kyoto to Miyazaki

We need some advice and or tips on what is the
best way to travel to kyoto from our hotel in tokyo(not yet decided what hotel). My wife and I will have 3 pieces of luggage and want to know what train or bus will allow us to bring our luggage with us. Do we reserve a "sleeping car"? From the train/bus station in Kyoto, what is the recommended way to get to our hotel? Again, we are still searching hotels in Kyoto. I also would like to know from our hotel in tokyo what is the best way to get to the train/bus with our luggage? I have heard terrrible stories about the taxis in tokyo.
Our trip will continue down to Miyazaki.
Thank you for any advice. We are planning a 15 day trip in October.

Apr 26th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Ada

Kyoto is a good 2.5 hr ride on the bullet train from Tokyo. The train is very comfortable, and you can bring luggage on- there is overheard storage, and I think there is also place to storage larger pieces (I know I have seen people with suitcases). Kyoto station is very nice- a big bus depot, and sure you can catch a taxi to your hotel.
I didn't have problem with taxi in Japan, but you should have your destination written in Japanese(ask people in hotel)or with clear instructions if you are going to somewhere not a typical sight seeing spot. I think people have problem cos there are so many streets & alleys in Tokyo that local people would get lost or need directions- unless you speak Japanese, otherwise it would be very hard to communicate.
I highly recommend carrying a phrase book around because you can always point to words or questions.

Apr 26th, 2002, 10:43 AM
rodney

Do yourself a favor and travel as the Japanese do - send your luggage on ahead to your next hotel via a package handling service (takyubin). Your hotel can arrange it for you, and it'll cost $10~20 apiece, depending on the weight. But that way you won't inconvenience yourself and others and won't have to lug them up and down the steps of the train stations.

Apr 26th, 2002, 12:33 PM
lcuy

Hi japanboy-
From Tokyo to japan is a very easy train ride. I can't imagine needing a sleeping car, unless you are on the milk run, and it would not likely have one. you are allowed to carry as much luggage as you can handle...the key word being you...skycap types are pretty rare. I recommend compacting your stuff and using wheeled bags or ones with back straps.
Most likely your hotels will attach a map to your reservation confirmation, or will show it on their web site. It will indicate the nearest subway or train station.
There are subway and train stations all over tokyo, so you can easily walk or take a short taxi ride unless you are way off the beaten path. Same thing in Kyoto...they have a small subway system and a little private train line. Between the two, you may be able to go on your own. If not, the taxis in Kyoto are reasonable, and the city is small. They also have terrific bus service, but again, it depends on how much stuff you have. Takyubin service is great, but can be confusing if anything goes wrong.

Apr 26th, 2002, 12:46 PM
next

Don't even try getting on a city bus with luggage. Most city busses are jam packed and you usually have to enter thru the back door and exit thru the front.

Apr 27th, 2002, 08:54 AM
japanboy

Thank you for your input.
We are still revising our itinerary and it looks like 3-4 days in Tokyo, 3-4 days in Kyoto and 1-2 in Hiroshima. We plan on staying another 2-3 days in Tokyo before heading back to the US, or should we fly out of another city?
Are you able to use the JR passes on Tokyo subway system?
Thank you again, for everyones help

Apr 27th, 2002, 12:02 PM
lcuy

You cannot use the JR passes on the subway, but therre are an equal number of JR trains in tokyo that run just like the subway...in many places the stations are side by side or on top of each other. We were in tokyo for 7 days and used our JR passes for all our city needs except for one subway ride. have you contactact the jnto yer? They will send you maps, guide brochures, and train & subway guides, or you can get them off the web site. I believe they are at www.jnto.go.jp/english/

Apr 27th, 2002, 12:03 PM
lcuy

sorry for the terrible spelling above....I clicked 'post' a little before I was ready!!

Apr 27th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Neil

If you like shopping and are planning on bringing purchases home with you I would really recommend going with your plan for a couple days in Tokyo at the end of the trip. Shopping in Tokyo is amazing, but you won't want to buy items at the beginning of your vacation that you'll just have to lug around with you the rest of the trip. I made the mistake of not planning shopping days at the end of my trip and ended up not getting many of the things I wanted to bring back.

Apr 30th, 2002, 08:35 AM
cb

Message to japanboy: from the US, there are flights either to Osaka or Tokyo. You can fly into Osaka, see Hiroshima and Kyoto first, bullet train to Tokyo and fly out from there. Or do the reverse, but if you plan to shop in Tokyo, the first suggestion is better.

Apr 30th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Tomodachi

We took the shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto, (2.5 hrs) then took the overnight bus back (8 hrs.) It was a long ride, but we were able to get some sleep. I think the Shinkasen was about 13,000 yen and the bus about 8,000 yen. We stayed at the Kyoka Ryokan in Kyoto which was only about three blocks from the train station and very nice for the price. Definitely check out the Pontocho-dori on a lovely evening. Another highlight was the Onsen (can't remember the name, starts with an F). Only a ten minute walk from our guesthouse. Kyoto is beautiful!

Apr 30th, 2002, 03:17 PM
lizbeth

Hi Japanboy,
Do I understand correctly that you have dropped Miyazaki from your plans? I ask because I was in Kyushu recently (early December) and being in the "deep South" of Japan would definitely give you a unique experience. It is a long train ride, however, if you are traveling, say, from Hiroshima to Miyazaki. The bullet trains terminate in Hakata (northern Kyushu) and from there on it's limited expresses - some of which are quite fast and wonderful to ride. It would be a bit of a challenge for first-time Japan visitors, as foreigners are relatively few and English speakers(or any languages other than Japanese) may not be easy to find in hotels, tourist bureaus, etc. However, the scenery, the laid-back tempo (for Japan, that is) and the very nice, very friendly locals would make a trip there enjoyable. Think about it......I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Apr 30th, 2002, 06:38 PM
japanboy

Yes we decided going all the way down to Miyazaki will be hard for first timers.
We plan on going to Hiroshima after Kyoto.
One tip someone gave was to stay in the same hotel in Tokyo. That way the hotel will hold on to our luggage while we are in Kyoto and Hiroshima.
We are excited about our trip, and thanks to everyones help, we are feel more confident.
Thank you

Apr 30th, 2002, 07:34 PM
japanboy

Yes we decided going all the way down to Miyazaki will be hard for first timers.
We plan on going to Hiroshima after Kyoto.
One tip someone gave was to stay in the same hotel in Tokyo. That way the hotel will hold on to our luggage while we are in Kyoto and Hiroshima.
We are excited about our trip, and thanks to everyones help, we are feel more confident.
Thank you