Tokyo Itinerary HELP

Oct 28th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Tokyo Itinerary HELP

Hi all,

I had another thread on Tokyo itinerary but starting a new one as I have used those prior notes and created a new one based on those notes. Want to make sure this all looks doable (in regards to locations, trying to do things that are closer together on the same day). Also any tips for the sights below will be greatly appreciated.

FYI: Our group is 12 passengers (well traveled) and one of which is a toddler (who is also very well traveled for her age). We typically move at a fast pace and like to see variety of things.

Also one very important question will be - what areas to live in when we go to Tokyo. We would like to stay in ONE hotel only for Days 1-3. And when we get back from Takayama we can stay in another hotel that is best situated for airport/tokyo plaza/robot restaurant.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE ALL!

DAY 1 - FULL DAY IN TOKYO
  • TeamLab - Borderless or Planets - would love suggestions on which one you would recommend?
  • Couple of hours at Mega Web Toyota Showroom
  • Akihabara electronics district
    • Maid café - in Akihabara district -Is it worth it?
  • Sensoji shrine and Nakamise Dore shopping street
  • DINNER
  • End the evening with a night time view on Metropolitan Government building or I Link Tower - my husband is having a hard time deciding between these two so would love recommendations - and if TMG would even be something we can fit into Day 1 or would have to do it another day? Bonus if we can squeeze both in on different days as he just loves skylines.

DAY 2 - DAY TRIP TO NIKKO OR HAKONE

DAY 3 - FULL DAY IN TOKYO
  • Breakfast at 7/11
  • Shibuya crossing
  • Harajuku/Takeshita Street and lunch
  • Meiji Jingu shrine
  • Kawaii Monster Café and those who don't want to come to this will go to Baird Beer Taproom
  • DINNER at Akasaka Ninja Restaurant (unless there are other ninja restaraunts you can recommend)
  • Mario Kart ride

FOR A WEEK WE WILL BE GONE TO Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, and Takayama in between

AFTERNOON HALF DAY IN TOKYO
  • Will be taking train from Takayama to Tokyo - estimating transfer about 4.5 hours
  • Spend 1-2 hours at the Tokyo station
  • Drop off bags at hotel
  • Tokyo Plaza Hotel - mirrors with different angles
  • Robot Restaurant show - we want to do this twice (half of us will go while other half looks after toddler and then switch) - any recommendations on what the other half can do during that time?
  • DINNER

MORNING HALF DAY IN TOKYO
  • Flight is at 4:30pm
  • 7/11 Breakfast
  • Supermarket shopping in the morning for snacks to take back to USA
  • AIRPORT
Oct 29th, 2019, 12:54 PM

My only comment on the Met Govt Bldg is that the windows had lots of fingerprints and smudges making viewing at least at night, not great. To ensure sites were near each other, we did a spreadsheet with all the places we thought we'd want to go and their metro stops or area. Then each day we would pick a neighborhood and hit the sites we wanted to see. We were only 2 adults and were in Tokyo a week, so very different scenario than you.
We only went to a couple of the same places you plan to go. I will say that the day we went to Tokyo Station it was not enjoyable. Way too many people jammed in walking around. We spent maybe an hour if that and left. Just too crowded to enjoy. It was a Sunday so maybe that was why it was so crowded.
If you go to Nikko go as early as you can. We got there around 9ish and it was quite pleasant, as the morning wore on the tour buses descended and it became very crowded. If you have time check out the small town. We found it interesting.
Harajuku St was very commercialized. I think its past its peak, but some of the side streets were interesting.
Have a great trip!
Oct 29th, 2019, 07:18 PM

I've been to both TeamLab Borderless and Planets. Going to Planets with a toddler may not be a sensible option for you - a lot of it is through knee-high water, and so your kid would be nearly underwater. It's great, but unless you are OK with piggybacking or carrying your child on your shoulders a lot of the way through, Borderless would be a better choice. Much more crowded, but there is also a lot more to see. There's more info in this previous thread. The Tokyo Metro Gov't Bldg has lots of foeign tourists going there - the I-Link Bldg, almost none (so far). But it's further away as well. Of course if the weather stinks, the choice has already been made for you.
Oct 31st, 2019, 05:22 AM

Ok, I'll weigh in on the maid cafe. Leaving aside why anyone would want to participate in what is clearly a misogynist fantasy (really, not that many females among the clientele), yes, the experience will be wasted on you as I assume your group are not native Japanese speakers. One of the defining qualities of the experience is that the subservient female in the French maid costume addresses her customers in the highest honorific level of keigo (polite language). That simply doesn't translate.

And 1-2 hours in Tokyo Station - why?! Are you looking for something to do in that area? The Imperial East Gardens are a 10 minute walk from the Marunouchi side of the station - you'd need to check opening days though.

I'm your mixed age group will have a wonderful time in Japan. I always wish I still have a child with me when I'm in the country - opens so many doors.
Nov 1st, 2019, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

So we took out maid cafe from the list

To all who commented... REMADE THE PLAN using some tips from here and other Japan forum... please let me know what you think..........

• Day 1 - Arrive in Tokyo around 2pm. Nothing planned for today due to jet lag/airport transfer etc.
• Day 2 - (this day thinking of hiring a private taxi for our group since things are kind of all over the place) Sensoji shrine, Nakamise Dore shopping street - 10 minute TAXI ride to Akihabara- Akihabara electronics district. Taxi ride over to Robot restaurant show - half will go while other half looks after toddler and goes to nearby Tokyo Plaza Hotel (mirrors with different angles) or Samurai museum. DINNER somewhere and then transfer over for a night time SKYLINE View at Roppongi hills MORI towers
• Day 3 - Meiji Jingu shrine, Harajuku/Takeshita Street and lunch, Baird Beer Taproom, Kawaii Monster Café, Shibuya crossing. DINNER and then Mario Kart ride tonight
• Day 4 - Day trip to either Kamakura or Hakone and spend night in this location (next day will head to Osaka). Alternatively skip this all together and spend another day in Kyoto (and maybe add half day in Nara)
• Day 5-Day 10 - Kyoto, Osaka and Takayama
• Day 11 - Tokyo again - Odaiba region - 3 hours at TeamLab - Borderless, lunch at Ramen theme food place in Aqua City, Odaiba Marine Park, DiverCity Tokyo Plaza, 2-3 hours at Mega Web Toyota Showroom, Pallette Town Big Ferris wheel, Dinner and back to hotel
• Day 12 - flight to go back to USA early evening - not sure what to do in the morning - maybe some supermarket/grocery shopping for snacks to take back to USA?
Nov 1st, 2019, 06:03 AM

I don't have any comments. I'm amazed that there is very little overlap between what you plan for Tokyo and what we did -- speaks to the size and diversity of that great city. - hope you have a great trip.
Nov 1st, 2019, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yestravel View Post
I don't have any comments. I'm amazed that there is very little overlap between what you plan for Tokyo and what we did -- speaks to the size and diversity of that great city. - hope you have a great trip.
Every time I keep searching for things in Tokyo I get so overwhelmed, there really is sooooo much to do!!!!