Tokyo Hotel & Other Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be heading to Japan next week, and still haven't booked a hotel. We had originally targeted the Grand Hyatt, the Park Hyatt, or the Peninsula, but are now thinking about the ANA Intercontinental, as it is nearly $200 per night cheaper.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the ANA? The rooms look decent - if business hotel standard. Is the service decent enough? And the location looks fine, but I don't know Tokyo, at all, so I could be way off-base. The money isn't make or break for us, and the others look amazing, but I don't really want to throw away money, either, and don't need that much doting. Are any of the others absolutely amazing, and worth any price? Any thoughts?

Also, we are hoping for some help with a couple of top restaurants. Kyubey comes recommended for a top-notch sushi place - does anyone have an opinion? I know it is pricy, and we will hit some more neighborhood-style places, as well (suggestions appreciated), but I am interested in at least one no-holds-barred omekase dinner.

And any other thoughts as to a second restaurant? What style? Any specific places? Japanese food only, please. We will eat absolutely anything.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 01:32 AM

Hi

I can't really help you out with your questions. But for hotel reviews you should check out Tripadvisor.com.

My wife and I went to Tokyo a couple of years back and here is my trip report with pictures http://gardkarlsen.com/japan_tokyo.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there

Regards
gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

A nice trip report. Definitely a lot of good information. Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 09:12 AM

The Grand Hyatt or the Peninsula would be my picks if I could afford them. The ANA Intercontinental is a definite step down from the aforementioned hotels.

I don't have a sushi place to recommend for you omekase but you will find so many in Tokyo it is dizzying.

Try the Misono Restaurant in the Sumitomo Bldg in Shinjuku for excellent Kobe beef. I think the original Misono was started in the 19th century or so and they have been around a while and for a good reason. This is the restaurant that Bennihana's and Tanaka of Tokyo and others try to duplicate but to no avail. You can read about it and some other Japan recos in my recent trip report if you like.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35128485

Aloha!
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. I took a second look and was able to scrape together some points to bring the cash cost of the Conrad down to the cost of the ANA, so we are booked there.

Would love more thoughts on restaurants and sites. Misono sounds great.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM

We love Rangetsu for wonderful quality beef sukiyaki ..It is located in the Ginza area. For something inexpensive,yet delicious and local, try tonkatsu (pork cutlet)at Maisen near Omotesando. Enjoy your stay.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:21 AM

I don't know anything about top restaurants. But for sushi I am planning to return to Sushizanmai in Tsukiji on Nov. 22. kuranosuke recommended it and for good reason. Might head out to Ukai Toriiyama, too, later in the trip (another recco from k).

That ANA IC hotel looks like a nice! Japanese business hotel. The single room is sized like a business hotel but nicely furnished. The property has a lot of facilities that you don't see at a typical Japanese business hotel (where you would get little doting).
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:06 AM

As others posted, ANA is more of 4.5* rather than proper 5* for GH/PH/Penn. Though I must say ANA has a distinctive advantage of having the best (ie non-stop and frequent) limousine bus connection to/from Narita.

I stayed a few years back, the room was slightly on a smaller scale than Westin, but the location is convenient. 3min to a subway station. ANA won't have the WOW factor if that's what you're looking for. Solid, decent value would be the way I'd describe.

For omakase style, I thought kaiseki is the way to go. Aurum in Ginza has good reviews (though I've never been there myself). I like Sushisay chains (my fav in ginza) where I found chefs and materials to be consistently solid without being ridiculously expensive. Serina in Roppongi also has a good reputation for shabushabu. Grills and Japanese restaurants at Park Hyatt have superb views and quality food though not what I call best value (oh so Lost-in-Translation!)
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info. Lots of stuff to mull over, with regard to the restaurants. The wife and I love Japanese food, and are planning to spend a fair amount of our time eating.

So it sounds like we should do at least one Kaiseki meal, in addition to our sushi splurge. Would folks recommend the Kaiseki be done in Tokyo or in Kyoto? We will be hitting both places.

We decided to use up some expiring Hilton points to book into the Conrad, but the ANA looks to be a great option for future trips.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 08:28 AM

I had forgotten about Ukai Toriyama. kuranosuke always has good suggestions.

Here is the website:

http://www.tokyo.to/ukai-toriyama/index.html

Also if interested in Kaiseki meals Wakuden on the 11th floor of the Kyoto train station is highly recommended

http://www.bento.com/kansai/rev/7032.html

Aloha!
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 11:57 PM

Am sure that you will find a good restaurant in Gion in Kyoto that provides kaiseki service.

You might also be in the market for a stay at one of the great traditional ryokans in Kyoto. These for example:
http://www.fodors.com/world/asia/jap...iew-32252.html
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/kyoto/H30905.html

Ryokans like these would offer kaiseki dinner as part of the stay.