Help: Restaurants in Tokyo

Mar 4th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Help: Restaurants in Tokyo

I would like to obtain some recommendations of restaurants in Tokyo, preferably some famous and legendary ones. Any cuisine is fine.
Thanks a million!
Mar 4th, 2005, 06:29 PM
emd

Recently, kuranosuke reviewed 3 Tokyo restaurants that he went to. Two were famous in my mind, at least I had heard of them and I've never been to Tokyo yet, so they have name recognition at least on this board. I think two were sushi restaurants (Edogin was one, if I have the spelling correct, and Matsukan) and the other was a nice "destination" place west of Tokyo which mealea, who frequents this board and who lives in Tokyo, has recommended- Ukai Toriyama. So search for that post and you'll find his reviews- I think he did the review in 2 posts, like part one and part two.
Also, I have heard very very good things about the "New York" restaurant at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo. Very expensive, but views of the city to die for, and excellent food and drinks and wine list.
I haven't been yet, going next week, but not sure we will go to any of those. But we are going to Ninja Akasaka, which gets good reviews for food and theming (you are served by "Ninjas" who also do magic for you at your table, which is in a private darkened room). I thought this would be cool for my 14 yr old son, but I am actually looking forward to the food also since I have spoken to a few people who have gone there and said it was very good.
Mar 29th, 2005, 03:26 PM

EMD, I am dying to hear about the Ninja restaurant. Was the food and entertainment as good as you expected, and how expensive was it? Also, where in Akasaka is it, and is it difficult to find?
Mar 29th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Akasaka is in central Tokyo. The closest station to the Ninja restaurant is Akasaka-mitsuke, which is on several subway lines. I haven't been there yet, but some friends went and said it was a lot of fun.
Mar 29th, 2005, 04:09 PM
emd

I'm drafting the trip report day 1 now and Ninja Akasaka is on day 4. It's moving pretty quickly as I have notes to move it along, so I should be posting at least that much of the report tomorrow. So stay tuned.