Tokyo baseball july 14-17?

Jun 26th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Tokyo baseball july 14-17?

We two parents and two teenagers return from Kyoto for four nights in Tokyo before we fly home to DC on the 18th. We'd like to see a baseball game. We are staying at the Akasaka Prince. We plan to go to Harajuku on Sunday the 16th, and to the fish market on Monday the 17th, then up the Sumida River to Asukusa. How best to fit in a baseball game, a trip to the Ghibli Studio, the Edo-Tokyo Museum, Akiharaba electronics, Sega in Odaiba, department store meals, and Shibuya at night? And what are we leaving out that we absolutely have to see or live in shame forever? Is Ghibli worth the effort? Thanks very much.
- Greg
Jun 26th, 2006, 07:53 AM
emd

On July 14, 15, 16 the Giants play the Swallows at Jingu stadium in Tokyo at 6 pm each evening.

See:

http://www.japanesebaseball.com/teams/index.jsp

Info on getting to Jingu stadium and seeing a game there (this is still good onfo although it is a few yrs old):

http://www.baywell.ne.jp/users/drlat...ks/swallow.htm

I thought Ghibli was worth it; I have taken each of my teens there on two separate visits to Japan. But only you will be able o decide if it is worth it for you. There is a lot of inof on the web about what that museum is like.

Do you have your ticket vouchers for the day you want to visit Ghibli? You know that as a foreigner you should have them before going to Japan, right? It is best to go in early morning when they open before the line forms to get in (you will have to wait for people to leave before going in unless you get there when they open).

We combined Edo Tokyo Museum and Akihabara in one afternoon/evening, as they are close to each other. We went to Edo Museum first, then Akihabara, as it is open at night and the neon is great at night there- much better to go in the evening due to this I think).

Where are you staying, what area?
Jun 26th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

We're staying in Akasaka, near the Imperial Palace (Akasaka-Mitsuke station).
Jun 26th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Also do we go to Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Akihabara for different reasons, or the same reason (neon). I'm not a reductionist. Just beginning to panic. Thanks.
Jun 26th, 2006, 08:57 AM

We spent some time in Akihbara because we had to get online to do our train schedule. Is was very different. There is no tech area like it in the US. We went into one store and ended up spending almost 2 hours there.
My son played a video game not yet availible in the states, I bought a card for the camera...etc. there was lots to do and see just in that one store. It was like a Best Buy X 10. With the two teens I think it's a good stop.

If you ever saw "Lost in Translation" the intersection in Shibuya with the incredible neon is in that movie. We also took time to find a game parlor so we could take some picture club pictures. If you don't know where the booths are, ask someone (if you ask pictureclub they should understand you). It's something VERY popular with teens in Japan - especially girls. However, my son - who we traveled with and who is still in Japan sends me Picture club pictures periodically.

We were there at 11:30 at night and everything was open.

We did not go to Shinjuku, so I can't comment on that.
Jun 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Looks like Jingu stadium is very close on the Ginza line to Akasaka-mitsuke. So we'll try that the first day; Edo-Tokyo and Akihabara the second day; Harajuku, Ghibli, and Shibuya the third day; and Tsukiji, Hama Rikyu Garden, and the Sumida River to Asakusa and the Sensoji Temple the fourth day. Thanks for your suggestions!