to my Thailand travel mentors (long)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you all are just marvelous to take this kind of time to share all you knowledge and experience. I don't know that I could be that generous - would like to think so. So a big thank you.

My husband and I are going to be in SE Asia for 23 days (our first trip this far away from home). We are traveling straight to Chaing Mai where I have a friend who suggested that the first two days, we would want to keep activity low - so we're going to be there for five nights. then we move onto Bangkok for 4 days, Hanoi and surrounding environs for 5 nights. From there, we fly to Siem Reap for 4 nights and end our trip on a beach in Phuket. We had wanted to keep our hotel bills at $100 or under, but the idea of luxury at so much lower a price than in the states has been very tempting, so I've booked the Bangkok Marriot (the one at the river), and the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort. Both of these hotels were chosen thanks to your guidance, rhkkmk, JamesA and others. Also, we've booked an overnight tour to Halong Bay on the Jewel of the Bay because of the recs. here.
Now I've got to book a hotel in Chiang Mai. Our friend in CM suggested the Amari Rincome, said the pool and breakfasts were wonderful and it's near his home - and not expensive. My husband and I loved the pictures of the Baan Orapin b&b, and they are much less expensive, but they have no pool. How important is a pool in CM? I don't know if anyone else can answer that for me, but your own personal experience would help.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM

I'm not a pool person so I'm the wrong person to ask. In reality, only you can decide how important a pool is. Chiang Mai is cooler than Bangkok or southern thailand if that makes a difference. The Rincome is a bit out of the center of the city. Baan Orapin is better situated if you want to walk. I used to stay at the rincome all the time (20 years ago) and loved it but reports recently have not been so great. Since you are staying at resort hotels for some of the rest of your trip, I would consider Baan Orapin for a different type of experience. But if you love having a pool option you might consider one of the hotels near the night market like the Chiang Mai Plaza which is better located. Or if you want to splurge try Yaang Come.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM

I would definitely take one night off of Chiangmai and put that one night on to Bangkok. I like Chiangmai, but can't imagine that it needs 5 nights. Back in the 90s, when I first went to Southeast Asia,solo,I did Singapore,Bali,Chiangmai, and Bangkok in three weeks. I flew directly to Chiangmai from Singapore, so that that was my first impression of Thailand. I'm glad I did it that way. It was a great first impression. Then I went down to Bangkok(where I ended my trip) and was to stay for 3 days, I think it was, but stayed 5 and that was definitely not enough time. I took some days off of Chiangmai and flew out early in order to put more days onto Bangkok. I personally absolutely adore Bangkok. Have a great trip. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM

Hi Sharon

If you are staying in Chiang Mai near the beginning of your stay when you are getting over jetlag, then I probably would opt for somewhere with a pool so I could sit by it and relax in the first couple of days. I find it hard to slow down though so swimming in those first couple of 'slower' days gives me something to do whilst stopping me from overdoing it if you see what I mean!?

Also, if you are planning on seeing your friend whilst you are there I think it makes sense to stay somewhere near him - although Chiang Mai is easy to get around. From memory, the Amari is slightly out of town (not far though) and does have a lovely pool - we used to go and swim there for the day when we were staying in accommodation without a pool (it used to be open to non-guests for a daily rate but no longer). We are staying in Baan Orapin for part of our stay whilst in CM so I don't particularly think a pool is essential whilst in CM but I just think if I was in CM at the start of my stay I would probably opt for somewhere with a pool. But only you know whether you would use it? However, I do agree that Baan Orapin does look lovely and is very reasonably priced. When are you going btw? Baan Orapin are meant to be building a pool but it is not going to be ready until this time next year I think?
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:52 PM

Your trip sounds wonderful! Good for you! I hope you enjoy the Katathani on Phuket as much as I just did in late September.

I don't think you mentioned your travel dates. Gloria mentioned Chiang Mai being cooler than BKK because of it being in the north. However, depending on your travel dates, it's possible that CM will be just as hot or even hotter than BKK. I've been there in June/July and August time period and was really glad that our driver had AC in the car, and it was always "ready" for us to hop in an out!

I've always stayed at the Sheraton in CM. The last time we were there, we upgraded to a suite at the desk at check in. The suite was huge! It's one of the nicest rooms I've ever had in an American chain hotel. The regular rooms there are nice also. The breakfast buffet is delicious, and very plentiful.

Enjoy your trip!
Carol
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:53 PM

Hi Sharon,

When I was there a few weeks ago, I found a pool to be a really nice luxury. I spent a few days at the Baan Orapin before we left for Siem Reap, I must say, I missed having the pool, yes, Opaas talked of building a pool for next year. After a day of sight seeing it was really nice to come back and wash the day off so to speak. I did lots of walking, I'd go out in the morning and come back before dinner, the dip in the pool was very refreshing. I think that is what was most important to us, not get to overwhelmed with the sights and shopping and feel totally exhausted. The pool does the trick for me. In Siem Reap it was nice to come back after a dusty day on the road and get in the pool too. All the best for a great trip!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:56 PM

The "need" for a pool in CM depends on what time of year you're going. We've been there in November and never saw the pool. In BKK at that time, the pool was a needed respite. April, however, is quite warm in CM. Maybe JamesA will chime in with expecdted temperatures as he often does with rainfall.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:04 PM

Chiang Mai has a good Novotel ( French chain )and also a Rydges ( Australian chain ) both 3 star type, around the USD 45-50 price, good value. For about USD 90 you could try the new Yaang Come Village Hotel, now this place is just opening but a recent Fodorite who visited had a good look round and said it was nice ( apologies I just cannot at this time of night remember who it was ) and that is close to night market. If you want clean, modern comfort 3 star range with pool, then Rydges to be close or Novotel a short ride away, Yaang Come for more Thai style. Central Duangtawan is also 3 star range bargain around USD 30-40. Jirung Health Resort and Spa is out of town, all suites, just under $100.

www.chiang-mai-hotels.itgo.com has all those with pics etc.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I thought I added the dates - we're traveling from March 2 - 25th. I'm thinking a pool will probably be something I want, even though Baan Orapin sounds like a more personal experience. The idea of traveling around all day and then coming back for a swim and relaxing before changing for dinner sounds divine. It seems as if the pool idea is a way to cool off. How hot will it be? I much prefer hot to cold, but some of the postings are a little bit scary. Guenmai, I will talk to my husband about cutting off a day in CM and adding it to BKK. I've seen that suggestion in more than one message string.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:41 PM

Normally, it starts to get very hot in Chiang Mai around March. But normally, it would have stopped raining in Bangkok by now (actually, it hasn't rained for several days, but some days it looks like it might), so it's hard to say what the weather will be like next March. Right now in Bangkok, some of my Thai friends are hauling out there parkas. The temp barely hits 80 during the day.

If memory serves, the Amari is the one on the corner of Huay Kaew and Nimanhimen road. Nimanhimen is the new boutique shopping street. There are lots of little shops selling traditional and modern Thai housewares right next to the hotel. Don't miss the Gong Dee shop.

An alternative to the Amari is the Pad Suan Kaew hotel, behind the Kad Suan Kaew shopping center. Looks nice, but I haven't stayed there myself.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:59 PM

as most know here i dislike CM...i have been twice and both times my hotel had a pool and we never used either one and as most know from my posts a pool is very improtant to us...

as you will be in CM at the very beginning of your trip and your friend has given you excellent advice about how tired you will be on day 1 & 2...i think a pool would be a good assist to your adjustment to thailand...day one you will just want to laze around by the pool or in a cool place to adjust...

baan op....sounds so wonderful however....someone just posted another similar place in the last few days and it had a pool i believe, but of course i did not write it down...maybe someone will remind us...

your overall trip is well balanced and you are going to love each place more than the previous place!!!!

it won't be the end of the world if you do not have the pool as the marriott will supply you with lots of pool time and so will phuket...