Tipping in India?

Search

Tipping in India?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping in India?

What would you say is the standard for tipping in India? For drivers, guides, porters, etc.?
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Generally more is expected from foreigners. With USD, Euros or Pounds 20% for good service in a restaurant is still a bargain. I would scale down for porters and guides unless you feel compelled to give more. Where will you be coming from please?
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 11:30 AM

There is no standard tipping rate. Depending on the effort, level and quality of service rendered, it can vary from 10 rupees (25 cents) to 100 rupees ($2.50). For someone carrying your bags a short distance I would recommend 10 to 20 rupees. For a driver/guide on a whole day trip perhaps 100-150 rupees will be appreciated. Whatever amount you choose to give, have an air of certainty and finality about it, else you may invite unnecessary and unpleasant haggling.

Also: the American 'rule' of 10%-15% tip in restaurants does not apply in India.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Actually 15% is common throughout N.A. and Europe.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Jacketwatch: we are coming from the U.S. Tipping, in my opinion, has become completely out of line. Recently, giving a waiter a $20 bill to settle a $13 charge, I was asked, "Do you want change back from this?" That broke it off for me.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:43 PM

I hear you. That is ridiculous. 15 % should be abour $2.00, not 7! In India you will most pleasantly surprised given the exchange rate and what it buys. Is this your first trip? What parts are you going to? BTW are you a navy man? My late uncle served on the Yorktown in WW II and we have the pleasure of touring the fighting lady a few yrs. back in Charleston, SC. Cheers, Larry.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Re. tipping in restaurants in India, one goes by instinct. For instance, if you are in a small cafe, for a masala dosa and chai, and the bill comes to (say) 20 rupees, I would keep a 2 rupees tip (which in this case works to 10%). Many locals will often leave the coins change (less than 1 rupee) in such places. In a slightly upscale outfit for lunch, if the bill works out to 100 rupees, a 5 rupees tip (5%) would be alright unless the service has been so nice that you feel impelled to leave more. If you are in 5-star place and your tab amounts to 1000-3000 rupees, a 100-150 rupees tip will do.

Bottomline: the tipping rate in restaurants in India does not scale linearly; it is what you think would be a reasonable amount for the waiter.

It is true that tipping in America has gotten out of hand. Last year, I registered a complaint with one of the Westin hotels when the bellhop gave me an intimidating, hostile stare. Reason? I had given him a $1 tip for his service of hauling one suitcase from the reception area to my room, something he did on a trolley and took less than 2 minutes.

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Jacketwatch: yes, I put in eight years in the USNR, mostly aboard ships. This would my wife and my first tour to India -- Delhi, Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi, plus a couple other places I can't recall. I'm getting to old to schlep luggage, hunt for a place to lay my tired head at night, wonder what mysterious food I'm going to get and where I'm going to get it, etc. Haggle with air lines who deliver less and less service for more and more money. So far, it looks like it will be 17 or so days, counting long flights across numerous time zones. Which is OK by me, but saving a few bucks by suffering 20 hour layovers is for the birds. The window of opportunity is closing, due to age and family needs. So it's now or never.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:00 AM

To USNR: As this is your 1st time to India I will give the same advice as I give to all 1st timers. Be sure to be very careful about what you eat and drink and see a travel MD or clinic before going. Malarial prophylaxis is almost always recommended as is typhoid tablets and maybe gamma globulin. In any case check it out and be safe. These basic precautions should do you well though you get travellers stomach regardless so you may want to bring immodium along. As for Delhi there is so much to see some of which includes:
1. The Red fort
2. The Lotus temple, a modern classic
3. Qutab Minar
4. Indira Gahndis home, now a shrine. Very moving
5. Shop till you drop at Connaught place, Palika bazaar, the Cottage Emporium and there is a new mall there I believe.
6. Jama Masjid mosque
7. Chandi chowk
8. M. Gahndi's tomb
One thing to consider as well is to get a suit made if that "suits" you. . That is you can get a tailor made suit in India for a mere fraction of the cost vs. the US and the quality will be excellent. I always go to Vedi Tailors in CP for clothes. If you do, go across the street to Nirulas for lunch or ice cream. You will enjoy it. Actually you could rent a cab in Delhi for the whole day for a very reasonable price to use as a private car for sightseeing. We always do and it goes for around $12.00 USD though my SIL does the negotiating and shes pretty tough. . One more thing. India is fascinating and also trying. You will experience all sorts of sights, smells, joys and frustrations. Have a great trip, please adhere to comsumption precautions (BTW Indian beer is GREAT!) and how about a trip report when you return? I assume you will be going fairly soon. The weather is a huge factor to consider. If its next June forget it. When are you going?
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 02:33 PM

As for tipping we have not usually have any problems with service staff here or anywhere we have been. One of the best experiences we had was in Puerto Vallarta with a waiter who was outstanding. I wish you could have seen the look on his face we he saw the tip, which as a recall was about 1/3rd. On the flip side our most annoying experiences came, first in India with a Taj Mahal guide who decided to accompany us w/o being asked. I gave what we all thought was a fair tip and he said that as an American I owed him more. Unbelievable. Second, a baggage handler in the DR asked for $20.00 to push our bags (AFTER I had already put them on the cart myself) about 60 ft. to customs! Third, a waiter here decided to charge us for 2 instead of 1 salad bar portion because my wife had one peach from my plate. His tip reflected the difference. Interestingly in Fiji tipping is not at all expected as per their custom. JM2C on this matter. If I can help any more USNR please let me know. Larry.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Jacketwatch: things have fallen into place, and we are going to India in November. Thanks for all your good advice. It's going to be fun!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Nov. is a good weather month. Actually we were going to be there then too but now it looks like it'll be late Jan.-early Feb. Have a great trip and keep it shipshape!