Time in New Delhi?

Jul 13th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Time in New Delhi?

We will be touring N. India in Nov. and while I am just now researching New Delhi it appears to me that the 1 day and 1/2 at best that we will have in that city is just not enough time to do justice to it. We do enjoy wandering on our own as well. We do have an option to add a couple of days at the end of our tour in New Delhi. I would appreciate any comments anyone might have as to the advisability of doing this....thanks, Bob
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM

We spent 3-1/2 days in Delhi but my wife likes to shop. Still, it takes a couple of full days to take in all of the sights. While many who have visited India feel that Delhi is not as interesting as other places, it still has great things to do:
Jami Masjid (mosque)
Chandni Chowk (Old Delhi shopping area)
Raj Ghat (Ghandhi's cremation site)
Bangla Sahib Qurudwara (Sikh temple)
India Gate
Presidential Palace
Moghul Gardens (February only)
Ghandhi Smitri (Ghandhi's home where he was assassinated)
Bahai Temple
Humayan's Tomb (a must-see)
Qtab Minar (12th century tower proclaiming the arrival of Islam in India)

All of these places are exceptional and most would be enhanced by the use of a good guide book or the presence of a guide.
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:11 PM

Qutb Minar, Humayan's Tomb, Jama Masjid are all must sees. We took a drive through Chandni Chowk, but we're not shoppers, so decided not to hassle with the crowds.

If you decide to go to the Jama Masjid, note that women are not allowed in during and after the last worship at sundown. Since sundown varies in time throughout the year, make sure your guide and/or driver (or you) know what time that is. Just check an almanac.
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:15 PM

FYI, Chandni Chowk is a "local" market - we did no shopping there and you will probably not, either - just fun to observe the goings on, preferably on a rickshaw.
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM

craig: Isn't silver a biggie at Chandni Chowk?
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM

IP - I have no idea. I have never heard of anyone shopping there. But I have been wrong on occasion so if I am it won't be the first time
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM

we spent about 3 days there and i still want to return for a few more days....the main sights can be accomplished in 1- 1.5 jam packed days, but that's only the sights....markets and other interesting places take more time...
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
CFW

I agree with Craig and Bob. We had only 2 days in Delhi and it was not enough. I feel like it was rushed and we just scratched the surface. There is lots to see and do and great shopping. Would love to return and spend more time there and elsewhere in India.
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Delhi is full of good sights. Some were mentioned above. I'd also highly recommend Tomb of Safdarjang ("the last flicker of Moghul architecture"), and Tughlaqabad (excellent and uncrowded). The evening sound and light show at the Red Fort is pretty good and is the best way to visit it, in my opinion. Lutyen's Delhi is pretty interesting, too. And so is the Crafts Museum.
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM

If going to Agra for Taj Mahal, see Agra Fort while there. HIGHLY recommend that you do. Then you can skip the Red Fort in Delhi, as you are short on time.
OI agree with all others that two days is not enough in New Delhi/Delhi
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM

What are the best places to shop in Delhi??
Aug 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the great information....we have decided that staying some additional days will be well worth it. I find that our tour ends/and our last night is in Gurgaon(just outside New Delhi) I am not sure how far it is from New Delhi and am wondering if we should just stay there and use local transportation to get into New Delhi or just go into New Delhi and find something there...any suggestions? Does anyone know how long it would take us to get from New Delhi to the International Airport?
Aug 7th, 2010, 04:42 AM
CFW

Not sure of the distance, but traffic will be a big issue. My guess is that from Gurgaon to Cannaught Place would be about an hour at least each way, depending on traffic. I would definitely stay in the city, and reserve a place in advance rather than just going into New Delhi to look for someplace. New Delhi is quite large & spread out.
Aug 8th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Gurgaon is outside New Delhi/Old Delhi. Atleast an hour away. As a tourist you want to be in the city itself to save travel time and avoid traffic.

The international airport is about 30-40 minutes from major city hotels. There are some good hotels near the airport as well. So perhaps stay near sights to enjoy your sightseeing, and then leave for the airport a little earlier on your last day.

Definitely book your hotel in advance...New Delhi is a major city and the capital...lots going on at any given time, especially during tourist season.
Aug 11th, 2010, 07:01 PM

2-3 full days.
Aug 12th, 2010, 06:11 AM

good decision....personally i want to return to new delhi and take it slow and soak up the local scene....we have seen the major sites, but the 2ndary ones remain to be seen.....plus the major shopping venues are almost untouched...
Aug 13th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your advice. We have decided to stay somewhere in/very near the city and am looking at various web sites etc. for recommendations. In that light does anyone have a suggestion for a good B&B in the ($90-120)price range. We would like to be close to shopping/rest. etc or at least close to local transportation. Bob