Search

Time in Bhutan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM
SuY
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time in Bhutan

I only have 6 days and am thinking about going to Bhutan. Will that be sufficient time? Or should I reserve that for another time?
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:39 PM

I haven't been to Bhutan yet, but I did my research for a trip. You must contract with a local travel agent/guide in Bhutan. Generally, the minimum amount of time recommended is 2 weeks. One of the "gateways" to Bhutan is Bangkok. I believe there are flights either two or three days a week to Bhutan. Within Bhutan, travel is rather slow. The minimum cost is US$200 a day (it may have gone up by now). If I were you, I'd save it for when you have time to enjoy Bhutan.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Ben

You can do quite a bit in 6 days - travel from Paro to Thimpu to Wangdue to Trongsa and back. I was told by our guide in Bhutan that most people travel between 3 to 6 days - too expensive otherwise. Also, if you go in the winter (we went in early January), the daily rates fall, there are fewer tourists, and the views of the Himalayas are best.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:29 PM
SuY
Original Poster

Ben,
Thanks for your response. Could you let me know which tour agency that you went with? Am trying to sort out the system and maintain at least some control over travels. Hoping to do a privatetour but not sure if it will be possible.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:58 PM

hi there,

at least You cant do a real private tour. You can be a party of one (which is a little bit more expensive) or of two. But always go with a driver and a guide. Six days is not much, but it is enough to do a little tour including Paro (airport), Timphu, Wangdi, Tigersnest, Trongsa, Punakha (spelling?). Which time are You going? Make shure You visit one of the festivals (Tsechus).

have fun
Gar
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Ben

We used Exotic Destinations and had a private tour with our family of four. We decided what we wanted to see and told the guide in advance. We also traveled in winter (late December and early January), at the lowest point in the season, so there were no crowds and no problem visiting anyplace.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM

hi there,
two more general things on travelling in Bhutan. There are no crowds in Bhutan, not even in highseason. Also at the tsechus You won't see a lot of tourits. You can always the places You wanna see. There are just a few monastiers You are not allowed to go in.
have fun
Gar
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM

Our family is planning to go to Bhutan for the first two weeks of January - can anyone provide any info on how much snow we would encounter in the usual tourist visiting spots? Is the driving risky at this time of year due to snowy conditions? Any info is much appreciated as we are taking our kids with us.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM

hi,

I am form Bhutan and if you need any help., you can contact me at [email protected] let me know. I shall render all help possible.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Ben

We only encountered a light dusting of snow at the highest passes in late December and early January. No problem with the roads. It was quite cold at night, however.