Search

Tiger Temple

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiger Temple

Hello everyone who has been to Tiger Temple!!!

I have been doing a lot of research these days about Tiger Temple because I want to work there as a volunter. I came a across a lot of good sites on the internet and then on some actually bad ones where people up to this month are badmouthing Tiger Temple calling it a turist trap and that the donations are not used at all for the making of tiger island, and that most of he tigers havent been out of their cages. I dont understand that.How is the situation in reality and is the bad mouthing coming from people who were too greedy paying the donations? I cant beleive that the munks could do something so negative!!

What are your views after visiting? If anybody of you knows anyone who has worked at tiger Temple I would really apreciate the possibility to come in contact with them.
Thanks in advance.

cheers

Kat
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Read this.

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...mp;iCountryId=
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Bottom line from reading Thorntree:

If you love tigers stay away from that place!

HOWEVER, maybe more outside people need to work there and report to the outside world what is happening.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

I have read everything on thorntree and also from tripadvisor. I am truly very confused about everything regarding Tiger Temple. Some peole love it and others hate it. People who clamed they worked there for 14 months talk about abuse, but all the evidence they can come up with is a 1 sec video that can bee found on youtube under Tiger Abuse at Tiger Temple. How come they cant come up with more evidence and how come they remail anonymus on the forums. Is it possible that they either havent worked there or maybe have been dismissed from the munks for inapropriate behavior, and therefore are pretty angry? They list names of organizasions that they claim have blacklisted Tiger Temple, but when you actually try to make a search for it, nothing is comin up!
What do you make of all of this?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regardless of anything else that's going on, don't you think that making a large, nocturnal predator lie in the sun to have her photo taken with a bunch of tourists is in itself abuse? Why would you want to participate in something like that?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

I dont want to do it at all now. I have talked with wspa denmark about it and they say that the conditions there is not something that they can accept. Vets that have worked there say that they tigers are drugged very heavily for these few hours and that then afterwards they are taken back to the cages because the drug wears of and that they cant give them too large dosis of it because they can die from it. They have started procedures in Bangkok but it still is very early stages.
The original idea was good but now they have turned it into a money machine. Its so sad.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
snuffle_kat - congrats on checking it out and changing your mind! If you want to volunteer in SEA, you could look at the Ponheary Ly Foundation - theplf.org. The foundation was set up by a fodorite who met Ponheary while traveling.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

thursdaysd!

thanks for the link. I will look it up later as I am leaving work now.

cheers

kat