Search

Three-night layover outside Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three-night layover outside Bangkok

Hello all,
My mum (66 - with slightly limited mobility) and I (30) are travelling to New Zealand in February and are making a three-night layover in Bangkok on the way. We don't want to stay in Bangkok though, and would love to know any recommendations for a nearby, chilled out place to relax for three nights - preferably no more than about three hours drive away. Our travel agent has recommended Hua Hin, but this seems like a pretty soulless beach resort. Any thoughts on somewhere a bit more tranquil and picturesque?
Thanks!
John

Read more: http://forum.virtualtourist.com/foru...#ixzz29rMBXIVP
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 09:44 AM

There are some lovely places at Hua Hin. Personally, though, I'd stay in Bangkok, and choose a riverside hotel to give me quiet and relaxation time. You then have the option to go elsewhere in Bangkok - for shopping or dinner or to visit wats - which has so much to see and do.
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 04:58 PM

If you want something more picturesque you might head a little further south from Hua Hin, to Pranburi, just outside of the 300 Peaks national park. It's about another 30 minutes beyond the main part of Hua Hin. The park is named after a craggy mountain that sits right beside the ocean.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 05:00 AM

I agree that Hua Hin is a bit of a soulless place, albeit with some very nice hotels. It is now very westernised as it has grown in popularity as a retirement haven for Western Europeans. Michael's is an excelllent suggestion. Some more info on the area at http://www.travelfish.org/location/t...uap_khiri_khan

The area does have a few boutique type places as well as some more basic places but I don't know of any chain type hotels. Salam Roi Yod NP is really beautiful but does really need a car to get around.

If you are dead set against BKK itself then a compromise might be http://bangkok-riverside.anantara.com/location.aspx, which is a resort type hotel away from the city centre
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 05:53 AM

bkk for sure.. what is soulless? dead? unfriendly? are you kidding??

hua hin is perfectly nice.. consider pattaya.. it is not soulless, but is immoral in general..

jontiem beach just past pattaya can be decent... look at the sheraton there.

anantara riverside in bkk is very nice.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions everyone - much appreciated!
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 01:02 PM

Hi if you don't need the beach you could consider Kanchanaburi I can reccomend the Dheva Mantra Resort. Wonderful big rooms- peaceful location by the Rive. Large pool. If you do stay do ask for second floor or higher rooms- better view over the pool.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 02:13 AM

Hua Hin has great beach hotels beach resorts, the Pranburi area about 40 minutes south of town is far quieter, but beaches not great. Hua Hin is deep with culture and history, nature areas, wildlife can be seen nearby, so it is not soulless. Millions of Thai people visit every year plus plenty from overseas.