Things to do in Chang Mai?

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to do in Chang Mai?

We are a group of 8 fairly athletic people who love food art and music. Any suggestions of things to do in Chang Mai? Or Chang Rai? We will be there for 5 days.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 07:23 PM

leave as soon as you can...just kidding...many people on fodors know i do not like CM....doi sutup is a wonderful wat to visit...the shopping street is worth at least 1/2 day...many love the nite market...i do not....i think with only 5 days i might only stay in CM....there are things to do outside like visit the elephant conservation camp and other nice things....hire a driver with a large van...many are available on arrival at the airport...van for 8 might be a bit difficult without prior arrangements however...others will have suggestions...
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 07:25 PM

what are your interests? what types of experiences do you want to have. I love both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and have been there many times but how you can best spend your time depends on your interests and your travel priorities.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 10:52 PM

We hired a car, guide and driver and visited some of the hill tribes outside Chang mai on the way to Mae Hong Son near the border of Myanmar. The countryside is quite beautiful. You should move out of Chang mai. If you all like food why not do a cooking class ot two in Chang Mai. It boasts some good cooking schools. Wat pratap doi Sutep is a beautiful temple on the hill above CM. There is also a very interetsting museum on the outskirts of town - the name eludes me.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 02:17 AM

If you are fairly athletic, you may want to take a trek. You can take a 2 or 3 day trek - however, be prepared to camp out in a hill tribe hut on most treks. It was a great experience for us but not everyone's cup of tea. Here is a website with further info on trekking - http://www.chiangmai-thai.com/Trekking.htm - there are lots of tour companies out there and you can book it in advance or easily enough on arrival. Be careful to check out how hard the trek is - the first one we did was 3 hours on a steep incline on the first day and quite tough but the second one was much easier.

Another options if you fancy doing something active but would prefer to stay in more comfortable accommodation is Khum Lanna - http://www.asian-oasis.com/lanna.html#. There is a 2 day trip on here which includes various stops and a bicycle ride on the 2nd day and an overnight stay in a lovely teak house.

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Wow this is a great site! Thanks for all the food for thought. We have hired a driver named Ratt and have a room at the Baan Orapin. Cooking school and Elephant excursion appeal to us. Is jazz music an option in Thailand? Would an overnight trip o Chang Rai give us enough time to see anything? Can you suggest a particular cooking school?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Hmmm... The Ratt we talk about on this site drives in Bangkok, but she has a sister who drives in Chaing Mai.

Do a search, there have been a number of recommendations for cooking schools in CM.

I don't know that a one day trip to CR will be very interesting. I loved the Golden Triangle area (stayed at the Anantara), but I'd only do that if you had at least two nights there. By the way, the Anantarra has a wonderful cooking school.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:26 PM

You probably have Poon -- Ratt's sister.

First, if you want to go to Chiang Rai area I would urge you to spend 2 nights in order to do it properly. It's well worth it.

Things to do in Chiang Mai:
Elephant Conservation Center near Lampang -- this is about an hour and a half from CM but a must. Spend half a day there at least.

Doi Suthep -- takes about 3 hours

Crafts -- decide the type of crafts that interest you and Poon will take you. This will take anywhere from half to a full day.

Cooking class -- full day

Walk around the city.

Things to see in Chiang Rai area
hilltribes
Queen Mother's gardens and craft projects
Gorgeous scenery
Opium museum
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

You are absolutely right it is Poon . Ratt is our drive in Bangkok. What is your favorite cooking school? Is there a good place to go and hear Jazz music in Chang Mai? Gardens, temples and museums all appeal to me. What is Doi Suthep? Im not sure about crafts? How about a day raft or bicycle trip? Also the place we are staying doesn't have a pool. Is there one close by we have two teenagers in our group?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM

do a search for chiang mai cooking schools and you can read many recommendations....

we spent a great day with yui at "alot of thai" cooking school and we actually cooked some of the best thai food on our holiday...

enjoy chiang mai