Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Alleppey/Alappuzha, India?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2018, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody. I will be travelling to Alleppey in July and I'm looking for fun activities including tours that can work into my schedule when I get there. Looking for something decent at a reasonable price. Don't want to be playing a fortune. Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2018, 04:50 AM

July will be pouring. So you won’t have much time outside.
Do go for many boat ride s into the backwaters as long as you are able to find boats to take you in the peak of monsoon rains.

if you fancy a local meal, head over to Brother’s. A small joint serving traditional Alleppey cuisine. Not very fancy but the most authentic tastes you will find.

You can see the traditional ancient Shri Subramanium Swamy Temple and the St Andrews Basilica. Go to the nearby Bird Sanctuary.

you could visit Kumarakom, another lovely backwater area. There are some bike rides around the area of Alleppey as well.

you could tie you’re visit with a trip to the tea estates of Munnar or the forests of Wayanad or Periyar. I feel you like beaches, there are plenty nice ones in Kerala. But remember, July is heavy rains.

Last edited by theloststory; May 13th, 2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:28 PM

July is not the right time to travel to Kerala, for the monsoons can completely disrupt your sightseeing programme!
Allepey is the starting point of the Backwaters cruise, which takes you through the Backwaters. A night on a House-Boat is a good option to see the country along these narrow canals, backwaters and lagoons. The Oberoi is operating their Vrinda MV but you will need to check if they operate in the month of July (I doubt if they do). Vrinda is very luxurious but expensive $$$. The next option could be the 'premier category' Houseboat, with glass-panes to keep out the bugs and mosquitoes from at least the bedroom. The meals and services of this category are very good. It has a 24 hrs. AC supply. However, if finances are a major constraint, then you could opt for an open country wooden boat that takes you through the narrow canals.But again, since it is monsoons at their worst in Kerala, these may not be practical and even may not be available.
There are some fine properties just a few miles north, at Maraikulam. The CGH Earth is operating the Marari Beach Resort. A Beach Symphony enjoys great reviews and so does the more luxurious Carnoustie Resorts.
Some 25 miles South of Allepey is the Nagaraja Snake Temples. These are devotees of the snake-god, a flash-back to the ancient times when Hinduism slowly embraced into its ever-tantalizing form, the local tribal cultural structures! You will find women seeking fertility. Once the wish is granted they come back for thanksgiving!
A few miles to the east is Kumarakom, where you have the luxury Kumarakom Lake Resort. The Philip Kutty Farm-stay could be another choice. You could learn some South-India cooking in their complimentary cooking session.
Enjoy your travels!