India-solo female Yoga Teacher Training

Mar 18th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

India-solo female Yoga Teacher Training

Hi All,
I am a female travelling solo looking to go to India to do my Yoga Teacher Training certificaiton. Unfortunately, the ONLY time I go to do this is JULY (Monsoon season). I have not done much research yet as I find this forum a good 'starting point'. So! ...here are my questions

I realize that India is not a luxurious destination by any means...however..I am looking to see if I can select a school in a location that is more safe with more available 'ammenities'....'cleaner' restaurants, sanitation...etc. that might make my solo fist time journey a little more manageable? I like the idea of a beach city (Goa???) but not sure how mush the July Monsoon season should impact my choice?
For context I am flying in form Toronto and then onwards to Europe after my teacher traning.
Thanks so much...really any info on India for female solo traveler would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Mar 18th, 2018, 12:14 PM

A while back I was looking for yoga opportunities in India and finding few, was told the greatest interest was largely a western phenomenon which explained why I was finding so few in India. But things may have changed recently. I found several likely opportunities in Rishikesh in the mountains (north), which might be a starting place. Ultimately you may have to go wherever you find a suitable course, rather than looking for a course in a place you'd prefer to be. I don't think you'd have safety concerns while staying at a school, assuming you observe common sense behavior, as anywhere.

I spent a wonderful week at an Ayurvedic complex in Kerala on the ocean which offers yoga. You might contact them to ask about certification.
Somatheeram - First Ayurveda Hospital in the world with Resort Ambiance

You likely know of the Sivananda organization. They have locations for training in India: Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres | Worldwide Locations

This is one a ran across but know nothing about: Yoga Teachers Training India | Yoga school in Mysore
Mar 18th, 2018, 03:34 PM

I should add that it sounds like your idea of India is a bit skewed. Almost anywhere westerners go there are accommodations that appeal to every taste & budget. India is a luxury destination, as well as a modest one. Something for everyone. So first look for a school that appeals to you and you'll no doubt find places to stay & eat nearby that will have the amenities and cleanliness you feel is appropriate.
Mar 18th, 2018, 03:56 PM

In addition to Mme P's info above, I recommend a search for info on yoga teacher training, on the Indiamike site. That forum has about a thousand times more traffic than Fodors India Forum, so you should post the same question there.

Going in July, yes, do check the weather! Think "head for the hills" e.g. Mussoorie nr Rishikesh, or Himachal Pradesh (e.g. Dharamsala/McLeod Ganj, or Shimla) It will be very hot, but less so than in the "flats."

Good luck!
Mar 19th, 2018, 12:28 AM

"I realize that India is not a luxurious destination by any means..."

This is proof of exposure to ill-informed, vitriolic western media..... to an extent, a few properties are out of reach,for many a traveller to India, for instance the Sukh Niwas and the Suryavanshi suites in the Rambagh Palace costs aroung INR 7,50,000 ( USD 12000) per night.The presidential suite in the Taj Lake Palace Udaipur costs around INR 6,00,000 or ($ 11,500) per night.The list is endless. OP, my recommendation would be the Ananda Spa in the Himalayas.A great place to 'practice' yoga.Google it.

"I am looking to see if I can select a school in a location that is more safe with more available 'ammenities'....'cleaner' restaurants, sanitation...etc"

Apart form the ones suggested above you could join the following renowned institutions.

B K S Iyengar - Home

Unfortunately the legend is no more but his legacy lives on....the other being K Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute in Mysore a historical city near Bangalore in the State of Karnataka.
http://www.ashtangayogamysore.net/

Both the cities of Pune and Mysore have luxury properties to stay in. These ashrams often offer basic,clean, rudimentary accommodations along with 'Sattvic' (special vegetarian diet) food,as the objective in these places to to impart knowledge.The emphasis is on utmost hygiene.

" I like the idea of a beach city (Goa???)..."

Goa is a State and the only city/town by the sea is Panjim (Panaji). The rest of the beachside towns/vaddos are rather laid back and in constant drug /alcohol induced stupor and are ill-suited for serious yoga.Though there are plenty of joints/ shacks offering them,it would be a serious health risk attempting it.The same goes to 'Ayurvedic' massages/treatments in untrained hands have led to irreversible damage in the past.

"...really any info on India for female solo traveller would be appreciated."

Please hit the search button on this forum and you'll find this topic discussed at length,which includes dress code,body language, food, behaviour and so on..
Good Luck
Mar 19th, 2018, 09:46 PM

You could also take a look at Shreyas Yoga Retreat, near Bangalore. It is a Relais & Chateux property. They seem to have a good programme for Yoga.
Enjoy your travels!
Mar 20th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

inquest thanks for the detailed info. i appreciate it! looked into Ananda Spa and it does not offwer Teacher Training..but looked awesome..have sent ashtanga mysore an email...thanks so much again!
Mar 20th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

thank you!!
Mar 20th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

CaliNurse...great idea to try indiamike! didt know about it...still learning...it looks great..thanks for the idea.
Mar 20th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the information

Search this Thread