Things to Beware of in Yogyarkata

Old May 13th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to Beware of in Yogyarkata

I had a wonderful time in Yogyarkata in March,
However a few things struck me that Yogja is so different from Bali or East Java. All 3 which I have in-depth trips.

When people make promises in Yogja, it seems that they don't keep them.

Our driver guide, after taking our generous tips, promised to buy their famous kueh lapis,( which we promised to pay him) for us to bring home, never materialised.

The gallery owner who promised that he will get his frame maker to provide the wooden frame support for the batik paintings I bought from him, at home. And that the price I paid for the batik paintings is inclusive of the wooden frame supports. He even gave me his email and the frame maker's email. Both which for 3 months did not reply to my emails.

So my advice is for everything u are willing to part your money with, make sure you get whatever you buy on the spot. Otherwise, stay away from buying art especially, because they don't come cheap.
Old May 13th, 2018, 08:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
In contrast, I left my favorite sun hat in a taxi in Yogya and when the driver discovered it later, returned it to me at my hotel. Not disputing your experience, just noting it isn't the entire story.
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:10 AM

I'm sorry this happened to you, but it is very different from my experiences in Yogya. People went out of their way to be helpful and kind.

You have marked the as a trip report, please tell us about what you did in Yogya.
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:02 AM

We enjoyed a few days in Yogyakarta, but there a few things to be careful of...

- Public bus drivers aren't very customer friendly, as soon as the last person is on or off at any stop they put their foot down hard on the gas.

- Payements [sidewalks] aren't in the best of condition.

- Good restaurants are a bit thin on the ground, so plan where you want to eat.

- Taxis from the Airport have fixed prices so long as you buy a coupon from the desk inside at Arrivals.

- Yogyakarta Zoo is worth a couple of hours. We didn't notice any particular sign of mistreatment, and getting close up to Komodo Dragons is pretty cool. If you are western looking you'll almost feel like an exhibit, with lots of folk wanting their photo with you.

-
Old May 15th, 2018, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

When in yogja... use gojek..... USD 1 to 5 only, depending on distance. Even to n from airport.
Old May 15th, 2018, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Gojek is just like Uber in Indonesia