Multi-day Drivers in Bali?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to spend ~2.5 weeks in Bali mid-May next year and wonder about the possibility of getting a driver for several days . Have researched renting a car vs driver and the latter sounds like the best idea, but do any drivers take people out for a several day excursion (i.e. not returning to a base every night, but instead traveling for several days and then returning)? If so how does it work price wise (driver lodging and food costs, etc.) ? Most posts that we see refer to a 10 hour rate, which is the basis for our question, since what we are looking for would involve several days of hire without returning each day to the originating location.

Thanks for any info or ideas!
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM

i usually pay my driver about 400,000 for a long day.... usually they go home at night....bali is not big so this is possible...

they know cheap places to stay if not....
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Yes, that is the question. Do they know cheap places to stay and do they do that? Everything we have read about drivers is oriented toward having them for the day. Our question is about a several day trip with a driver.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM

Bali is small enough that peple usually return to their hotel each night. I'm sure it is possible to arrange such a trip, though I don't know that drivers get accommodation for you. I'd arrange my own accommodation if I were doing it.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM

If I'm not misunderstanding this, I don't think the OP is wanting the driver to arrange accomodation for THEM. I think the OP is concerned about the <i>driver's</i> accomodation for O/N trips.

Bottom line, once you hire a car and driver for two or three days, they'll factor the driver's O/N and food costs into the rate. What the driver does after that is <i>his</i> business.

Whatever you do, don't make it yours.

If you want a multi-day, multi-stop tour, that's no big deal. You can do anything you want provided you're prepared to pay for it. rhk's rate may be appropriate, it may not. Do a lot more research on costs.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM

Ah, I misunderstood. Dogster is right, the driver will figure in his own accommodation to the price. Just make sure this is understood.

Do consider whether this is the way you want to see Bali. It seems like lots of packing and unpacking to me. You want to stay in one place in Bali long enough to soak up the atmosphere. If you are on the go all the time, you'll miss what Bali is about.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Dogster was correct, and we do plan to stay put quite a bit, but may want to do a short few day excursion. Appreciate the info!
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM

Most trips in Bali can be done as day trips, as all have said, but if you really want to do an overnight because you're going to the far northwest for instance, our driver does do them from time to time. In fact, we've been so many places with him except for the faraway places at the tip, he suggested that we do an overnight next time. His name is Putu and is the same driver Bob and others have used. I highly recommend him whether you decide to do day trips or not.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 02:18 AM

I've never kept a driver overnight in Bali (though I have done so in Java). The distances in Bali are just not that great and it's easy to find a new driver wherever you are.

Your driver will definitely know where to stay and eat. You'll just need to agree on a per diem for him and to discuss in advance who pays for gas. I would think that meals and food for the driver would be about IDR250,000 to 300,000 a day.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Over many years I have used drivers that have not only stayed for one overnight, but for many, or at least came back for us. I haven't been to Bali in several years, so it might all be different now....post 'Eat Pray Pay'. It was never a problem for our drivers to find a place to stay and food that was favorable for their diet. It never hurts to ask them what their rate would be and more times then not, it will be just right.