the ultimate Phuket hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rapidly booking up our return holiday to Thailand/Cambodia. We'll be spending 5 days in Bangkok (Lebua, Pen or Oriental) then travel to Phnon Phen and Siem Reap and then.... fly to Phuket for a full week of r&r

What is your advice on the ultimate restful/beautiful place to stay in Phuket? (early/mid May so weather iffy)

Have excluded Amanpuri, Banyan Tree and Racha as too expensive. Have found excellent prices for Chedi, JW Mariott and Royal Yacht Club though suspect the latter two are too big for our liking...

In our mid-30s and travelling without kids, what we are looking for is a beautiful beach, quiet beautiful surroundings, excellent food but relative proximity to other restaurants if necessary, and - let's be honest - a bit of splurgy luxury... A hotel gym would be a plus but not necessary.

Of course am scouring fodors, tripadvisor, condenast etc but your views, as ever, much welcome
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:11 AM

Arahmas is good but a little remote, though closer to busier resort areas than say JW Marriott.
May about US$ 145 or suite $180. Indigo pearl probably around $135.

There are regular favorites such as Mom Tri's and Katathani. Le Meridien if you want to be nearer to Patong.

One place that I think is real good value and perfect for 'mid 30 couples' is 4 star Centara Villas overlooking Karon Beach.

Tropical style on hillside above north end of Karon beach. You walk down pathway onto beach which is nice, beach cafe etc.
Rooms offer incredible views over the sea and amazing sunsets.

Only down-side is that due to position you need transport either south into Karon or North into Patong, the up side though is that it is conveniently located between the 2. For days spent on the beach or lazing around pools and then heading out in evenings it is good.
Daytime you can walk along the beach into Karon if you wanted, not so far, pleasant beach to stroll along, perhaps tuk-tuk back.
It means you can have tranquil surrounds but if you want to head into Patong for the evenings it's only 10 minutes by tuk-tuk, so very easy. You can also get to Kata in under 15 for some other good restaurants. Those in Karon, as said, you can walk the beach into Karon if you want, but that's along the beach.
Centara operate Sofitels also.

The big plus though is rates around US$ 80 with tax, service and breakfast and sea view about $105. Spa Villa about $135 and top end sea view pool villa $ 160 !!
2 pools plus restaurants, spa. I can't say if there is a gym.

Arahmas / Indigo pearl and others are fine but if you like 'tropical sty'e with amazing views, and a 'pool villa' for $160 then I think it's pretty tough to beat.

There is a very large choice but I think for 30 somethings that appeals/directed to couples you would be pushed to get a seaview Pool Vill for that price plus although it's no good for wandering out to places as position ( down from the main coast road ) the plus is convenience for Patong and Karon plus Kata. Meridien just north of Patong is an option ( has gym ) but far more of a 'large resort hotel'.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:14 AM

I can comment on the JW Marriott...stayed there 6 nights in August. Actually, it's not a comment, it's a tome.

JW Marriott is big. The beach is stunning, as are the pools. Very aesthetically pleasing on the whole.

The rooms are average Marriott rooms with some Thai touches...no difference in layout between Garden, Pool, and Sea view rooms. If you stay here, book the cheapest Garden view room as they all really have the same view to the garden area, and the beach is quite far away and the ocean view is a distant one unless you have a one-bedroom suite, which are located at the ends of the blocks closest to the beach.

It is quiet and peaceful on the beach, but be aware that it is a very popular place for families. I actually took my daughter there for the express purpose of her participating in their circus training program, and she loved it. There were many children there in August...maybe in May you'd see fewer kids...

The onsite restaurants are very good in quality, but unbelievable in price. We ate one night in the Grill restaurant...chicken, steak, one appetizer shrimp cocktail, one glass of wine and one virgin pina colada set us back 5500 baht...and it was good, and it was our last night there and we celebrated her excellence at trapeze with a grown up fancy dinner, and we knew the price going in...still, that is one expensive dinner for two.

The Thai restaurant is less dear in price and has nice food. There is also Italian, Japanese, buffet, and Siam Deli (where a tuna sandwich costs 300 baht with no sides or drink).

The do a very good cooking class...it was included in our rate as part of a package we booked directly with them...but we learned that the price is US$150 per person if you pay...it's not worth that. It's a nice market excursion, breakfast at the hotel, then cooking and eating. Wine is included in the drink offerings. We really enjoyed the cooking part, and Teaghan got her own station which was great.

We had some issues with housekeeping there, like a neglected minibar, room cleaning very late in the day (like they would begin when we went out for dinner, and we had not been in the room all day...), old refillable bath amenities that put me off those refillable containers forever. The housekeeping staff was always friendly, though.

The gym there is gorgeous with great equipment and atmosphere. They do not have shoes or shorts for lending, so bring your own. They also rent mountain bikes and offer guided tours on bikes. In the garden is a pavilion which is used for yoga and pilates that is nice too.

Overall, we liked it well enough, with some "buts." I would never pay high season price for it, never. It is not special in a way that should cost that much. We paid $1200 for 6 nights, breakfast, cooking class for 2, 2 spa treatments, tax, service. I thought that was a fair price, even an excellent price. Between the two of us over the 6 days, keeping in mind that breakfast was included already, and I drank 1 glass of wine during the entire stay with no other cocktails...we spent an additional $2200 on food (mostly from the Siam Deli), circus training and kids club activities, one excursion (horsebackriding on Laguna beach). We ate a sit down dinner ONCE and never had lunch. IMO, they hugely overcharge for everything, knowing they pretty much have a captive audience. Of course, I could have nixed the activities (but then why go there) and we could have gone out for dinner...45 minutes drive to Patong/Phuket town, shuttle 500 baht per person, taxis might be called by you wait and you pay. Renting a car might be a good idea.

I had read reviews on tripadvisor before going that complained about the prices...but I never imagined we would triple our room rate without even having much. I was prepared to pay, but not be robbed.

Within walking distance down the beach there was a single beach shack place that would do bbq if you reserved one day before. Now, the Sala Phuket is open nearby, which looks quite ideal for a couple...don't know their pricing. Still isolated though.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for both inputs. Indeed don't think we'll be staying at the JW Marriott (though congrats on Kim's daughter doing the circus school -- after the elephant training in Chiang Mai!!). I think i'd prefer to stick to JW style hotels in big cities but not at beach resorts (still fond memories of our outrageous upgrade at JW Mariott in Shanghai last year!!)

James, I'll be looking up the Centara villas. Thanks for the advice. Had never heard of them. Will look them up. Most reviews i read tell me Chedi has best beach on the island but some reviews complain about some wear&tear...

thanks again
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:04 AM

There was a very positive report here about Villa Royale recently...maybe do a search about that property.

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:10 AM

I am looking at Twin Palms (and may be a thought for Brusselschap) anyone offer advice on that one?
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:15 AM

look at kata thani....meridien....sheraton grand...jw marriott is very nice and we did not find the rooms to be 'regualar marriott rooms' in any way....they were very thai...
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:40 AM

If you are looking for the ultimate Phuket hotel, the review of The Villa Royale was the best I've read. Do a search here. Robbietravels included it in the beginning of a trip report about Bhutan.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks Kathie, RHK and smeagol...

Kathie, have been looking for that Villa ROyale review but all i find when i look up robbietravels is an exchange you had late november but no review of villa royale.... ?
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:35 AM

Type Villa Royale into the search box. Near the top of the list of posts is a trip report (title in all caps) that includes Bhutan, Phuket, Bangkok and Varanasi. The review is in the first section of the report about Phuket.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:39 AM

There are several good deals for high end phuket hotels available on luxurylink.com

I have used the LL website several times and found very attractive deals.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie
have found it now. Indeed an impressive review... though am comparing it with a few negative ones on Tripadvisor complainng about wear&tear and crowded beach...

mmmhhh... too much info on the net!! ;-) ;-)

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

quick question for JamesA

is hello-phuket-hotels.com a reliable/safe booking system??? they've got amazing prices!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM

Indigo Pearl followed by Chedi...and then Villa Royalle from recent experience are the best options....in that order.
Centara Villas we have no personal experience of, but have heard only good reports.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 03:40 PM

Centara is the new name for the 'Central group', this is quite big in Thailand, they operate Sofitels etc. They also do the Centara Krabi which is very popular. Their pricing though often upper end hotels and resorts is quite good when compared with many others. Mom Tri's / Villa Reoyale of course good and Indigo pearl also very good for the price.

Photos Centara Villas:
http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...karon/details/

http://www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com/pool-villas.html has Centara, Sala Phuket ( quite expensive )

If you though perhaps Krabi or Phi Phi : http://www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com/...ry_hotels.html

Some good ideas and lots of photos etc.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 03:42 PM

Sala seems to be 250-500 range, Pool villas form 400 range, so quite expensive.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

there are way too many nice hotels in Phuket....

now considering 3 nights at Aleenta and 3 nights at Racha

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 03:04 AM

Do note Aleenta is not on Phuket itself but on Phang Nga mainland area, very quiet / remote. Nothing wrong in that but do note the location and you would have to forget anything in the way of entertainment etc. Racha is also very quiet, note day trippers at the beach there.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks James

you've jsut killed off both those options... hahaha

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:10 AM

I can add my own positive comments about the Villa Royale. I've stayed there twice, in the "older" (but recently remodeled) villas rather than the newer suites. I LOVE the place. Cannot rave about it enough. BUT it is not right on the beach. It is overlooking the small but lovely Kata Noi beach (which is mostly used by the large but super nice KataThani Resort). You have to walk down some wooden stairs to get to the Kata Noi beach from the Villa Royale, but it is a very short walk. VR is very private, ultra pampering, and the restaurant is excellent. VR is expensive, and yes, we paid peak season prices two years in a row, over New Years Eve. We hope to do it again the end of this year.

Carol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -