The road to Angkor

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The road to Angkor

I have heard that the area leading to Angkor Wat is packed with touts and people asking for money. How bad is it and what can we do to get through without being horribly rude?
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 05:09 PM

We saw no such thing in our visit to Angkor. Nor did we see any beggars or touts in Siem Reap.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 05:20 PM

there are a number of children trying to sell you things (postcards, etc).... If you aren't interested, just keep walking and don't engage them; they'll move to someone else
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:39 PM

when the avarege per capita income is $260 per year (LETS GO guides 2003) your bound too find beggers and touts and yes they are there.. I personly got touted from guys on motercyles trying too land a job as a guide too the temples. but as I've posted before I tend too always walk around with head sets on so that people wont bug me.

if your actuall taking the road too angkor you may find the most beggers at the boarder crossing.. unfortunatly since cambodia has a big land mione problem.. the people trying too live another day may be too disfigured for many too handle.

if ya ment the road from the town too the temples it should be too bad your may be in some kind of vehicle and most likely have a guide so no one will aprocech you, YOUR TAKEN..
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:49 PM

i was there in december, 2002...beginning of high season...we saw children selling braclets, postcards, etc....they are persisent, but lovely and cute....they will bug you but you keep moving...if you buy from one they will hound you even more...some of their stuff is of interest, unfortunately...the braclets for instance....
we saw no beggars...

when travelling you have to ignor these situations or you will ruin your trip...never give beggars money...if you feel the need to give, give it to an organized charity or home....your hotel would assist you with this...

i do not see it as an issue to be concerned with honestly...
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, sorry if my initial post seemed clueless, I understand it is a poor country but was surprised when someone told me they heard the conditions right near the complex were bad, because I had heard before that it was pleasant and nothing to worry about. Thank you for the reassurances!